Impact of Productive Safety Net Financed Livestock Credit on Food Security and Poverty Status of Rural Households in Ethiopia: A Simulation Approach
The study seeks to analyze impact of livestock credit and simulate the effect of change in covariates of poverty on households’ consumption expenditure. Data was generated through in person interview of sampled rural households in the Ethiopian Productive Safety Net area. Descriptive statistics, poverty indices, multiple regression, and simulation techniques were applied. The results identified covariates with statistically significant coefficients. The specific contribution in increasing consumption expenditure and reduction in poverty indices as a result of marginal change in covariates was examined. These specific factors need to be considered in designing poverty reduction strategies depending on magnitude of their contribution.
|Date of creation:||20 Aug 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.iaae-agecon.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Khandker, Shahidur R., 2003.
"Microfinance and poverty - evidence using panel data from Bangladesh,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2945, The World Bank.
- Shahidur R. Khandker, 2005. "Microfinance and Poverty: Evidence Using Panel Data from Bangladesh," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 19(2), pages 263-286.
- Foster, James & Greer, Joel & Thorbecke, Erik, 1984. "A Class of Decomposable Poverty Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 761-66, May.
- Alemayehu Geda & Niek de Jong & Mwangi S. Kimenyi & Germano Mwabu, 2005.
"Determinants of Poverty in Kenya: A Household Level Analysis,"
2005-44, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Geda, A. & de Jong, N. & Mwabu, G. & Kimenyi, M.S., 2001. "Determinants of poverty in Kenya : a household level analysis," ISS Working Papers - General Series 19095, International Institute of Social Studies of Erasmus University Rotterdam (ISS), The Hague.
- Dercon, Stefan & Gilligan, Daniel O. & Hoddinott, John & Woldehan, Tassew, 2008.
"The impact of agricultural extension and roads on poverty and consumption growth in fifteen Ethiopian villages:,"
IFPRI discussion papers
840, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Stefan Dercon & Daniel O. Gilligan & John Hoddinott & Tassew Woldehanna, 2009. "The Impact of Agricultural Extension and Roads on Poverty and Consumption Growth in Fifteen Ethiopian Villages," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 91(4), pages 1007-1021.
- World Bank, 2010. "World Development Indicators 2010," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 4373, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:iaae12:126157. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.