Modelling Economic Alternatives For Tobacco Producers: The Case Of Sheep Farming
After the introduction of the new tobacco regime, many regions in Greece, formerly specialized in tobacco cultivation, are now facing serious threats of economic and social decline. Sheep farming is considered by many analysts as a viable alternative to tobacco. This study analyses the financial performance of sheep production and the risk that producers are taking. Through a stochastic efficiency analysis with respect to a function we explore the economic viability of conventional and organic sheep farming; key factors determining the economic outcome of these activities are also investigated. Both organic and conventional sheep farming appear as viable alternatives. The viability of organic farming lies, mainly, in organic payments. Conventional farming generates a slightly lower but less uncertain net return.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.eaae.org|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hardaker, J. Brian & Richardson, James W. & Lien, Gudbrand D. & Schumann, Keith D., 2004.
"Stochastic efficiency analysis with risk aversion bounds: a simplified approach,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 48(2), June.
- J. Brian Hardaker & James W. Richardson & Gudbrand Lien & Keith D. Schumann, 2004. "Stochastic efficiency analysis with risk aversion bounds: a simplified approach," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 48(2), pages 253-270, 06.
- Charles Moss & Grigorios Livanis, 2009. "Implementation of stochastic dominance: a nonparametric kernel approach," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(15), pages 1517-1522.
- Meyer, Jack, 1977. "Choice among distributions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 326-336, April.
- Loizou, Efstratios & Mattas, Konstadinos & Rozakis, Stelios & Tzouvelekas, Vangelis, 2005. "Policy Decisions Evaluation in Agriculture Employing Input-Output Techniques: The Case of Tobacco Sector Regime Reform," 89th Seminar, February 2-5, 2005, Parma, Italy 234614, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:eaa107:6695. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.