Analysis of Participatory Research Projects in the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center
Through a survey of scientists from the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT) in 2004, this study assessed the extent to which participatory methods had been used by the center, how they were perceived by the scientists, and how participatory research could be applied more effectively by CIMMYT and partners. Results for 19 CIMMYT projects suggest among other things that participatory approaches at the center were largely “functional”—that is, aimed at improving the efficiency and relevance of research—and had in fact added value to the research efforts. The authors suggest that CIMMYT should (1) create a more conducive environment for scientists to share experiences on such approaches and (2) better document their impacts on farmers’ livelihoods and well-being.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Apdo. Postal 6-641, 06600 Mexico, D.F.|
Phone: +52(55) 5804-2004
Fax: +52(55) 5804-7558
Web page: http://www.cimmyt.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Smale, M. & Bellon, M. R. & Aguirre, J. A. & Manuel Rosas, I. & Mendoza, J. & Solano, A. M. & Martinez, R. & Ramirez, A. & Berthaud, J., 2003. "The economic costs and benefits of a participatory project to conserve maize landraces on farms in Oaxaca, Mexico," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 29(3), pages 265-275, December.
- Elske van de Fliert & Ann Braun, 2002. "Conceptualizing integrative, farmer participatory research for sustainable agriculture: From opportunities to impact," Agriculture and Human Values, Springer;The Agriculture, Food, & Human Values Society (AFHVS), vol. 19(1), pages 25-38, March.
- Martin, Adrienne & Sherington, John, 1997. "Participatory research methods--Implementation, effectiveness and institutional context," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 195-216, October.
- Doss, Cheryl R., 1999. "Twenty-Five Years Of Research On Women Farmers In Africa: Lessons And Implications For Agricultural Research Institutions; With An Annotated Bibliography," Economics Program Papers 23720, CIMMYT: International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center.
- Hall, Andrew & Rasheed Sulaiman, V. & Clark, Norman & Yoganand, B., 2003. "From measuring impact to learning institutional lessons: an innovation systems perspective on improving the management of international agricultural research," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 78(2), pages 213-241, November.
- Biggs, Stephen & Smith, Sally, 2003. "A Paradox of Learning in Project Cycle Management and the Role of Organizational Culture," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(10), pages 1743-1757, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:cimmis:56099. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.