Farms’ Performance and Short Supply Chains in Italy: an Econometric Analysis
In spite of several cases study existing that assess the profitability of farms participating in direct sales activities (Brown, 2002; Brown and Miller (2008), no analysis has verified whether the notion that farmers participating in short supply chains are profitable holds to the empirical test. The objective of this analysis is that of testing econometrically whether farmers joining short supply chains do experience better performances, accounting for confounding factors and endogeneity of channel choice decision. To that end, we use the Farm Accountancy Data Network (FADN) referred to 2010. Results indicate that participation in SSCs doesn’t positively contribute to farms profitability. We use this preliminary empirical evidence to shape future research steps in this domain, and namely to further investigate the differential impact of participation in SSCs on gross sales and variable costs.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.aieaa.org/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gilg, Andrew W. & Battershill, Martin, 1998. "Quality farm food in Europe: a possible alternative to the industrialised food market and to current agri-environmental policies: lessons from France," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 25-40, February.
- Dickson, Vaughan, 1994. "The empirical specification of price-cost margins," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 329-332.
- Pascucci, Stefano & Cicatiello, Clara & Franco, Silvio & Pancino, Barbara & Davide, Marino, 2011. "Back to the Future? Understanding Change in Food Habits of Farmers' Market Customers," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IFAMA), vol. 14(4).
- Cheryl Brown & Stacy Miller, 2008. "The Impacts of Local Markets: A Review of Research on Farmers Markets and Community Supported Agriculture (CSA)," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 90(5), pages 1298-1302.
- Conyon, M. & Machin, S., 1991. "Market structure and the empirical specification of profit margins," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 227-231, February.
- Fondse, Mirjam & Wubben, Emiel F.M. & Kortstee, Harry & Pascucci, Stefano, 2012. "The Economic Organizations of Short Supply Chains," 126th Seminar, June 27-29, 2012, Capri, Italy 128205, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aiea13:149899. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.