A Group Incentive Program For Farmer Adoption Of Best Management Practices: An Application To The Nitrate Pollution Problem In Central Illinois
The paper demonstrates a group incentive program to encourage farmer adoption of best management practices. It is demonstrated that the best management practices may not actually reduce farm profits but may increase farm profits and reduce environmental pollution. This may bring about a win-win situation for sponsor, the farmer participating in the program, and the society as a whole. The results show that the farmers subjective beliefs about response of corn yields and profits to nitrogen application differ from the simulated responses which in turn results in the willingness-to-Accept for adoption best management practices significantly higher than the expected program payments. The program could be implemented as an educational effort to demonstrate the benefits of sound management practices for larger adoption in the long run.
|Date of creation:||1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Randhir, Timothy O. & Lee, John G., 1997. "Economic And Water Quality Impacts Of Reducing Nitrogen And Pesticide Use In Agriculture," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 26(1), April.
- Cooper, Joseph C. & Keim, Russ, 1996.
"Incentive payments to encourage farmer adoption of water quality protection practices,"
24779, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Joseph C. Cooper & Russ W. Keim, 1996. "Incentive Payments to Encourage Farmer Adoption of Water Quality Protection Practices," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(1), pages 54-64.
- Baquet, Alan E. & Skees, Jerry R., 1994. "Group Risk Plan Insurance: An Alternative Management Tool for Farmers," Choices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 9(1).
- DeVuyst, Eric A. & Ipe, Viju C., 1999. "A Group Incentive Contract To Promote Adoption Of Best Management Practices," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 24(02), December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea99:21704. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.