Technology, Markets, and Ethanol Plants Shutdown Price
Price volatility and policy changes may compromise the ability of corn ethanol plants to operate above average variable cost and avoid shutdown. This study derives a variable cost function capable of accommodating two features of ethanol plants; 1) some inputs are used in fixed proportions and some are not, and 2) supply of different types of byproducts may be subject to unobservable market frictions. The function is estimated based on data from a survey of ethanol plants. Increased size does not seem to lower plants’ shutdown price. Frictions in byproduct markets seem to result in sub-optimal byproduct mix choices that increase ethanol shutdown price by up to 10 cents per gallon. Futures and other price discovery instruments in byproduct markets may enhance plants’ ability to prevent shutdown.
|Date of creation:||12 Aug 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chambers, Robert G. & Pope, Rulon D., 1993. "A Virtually Ideal Production System: Specifying and Estimating the VIPS Model," Working Papers 197785, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Gardner Bruce, 2007. "Fuel Ethanol Subsidies and Farm Price Support," Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization, De Gruyter, vol. 5(2), pages 1-22, December.
- Lambert, Dayton M. & Wilcox, Michael D. & English, Alicia & Stewart, Lance A., 2008.
"Ethanol Plant Location Determinants and County Comparative Advantage,"
Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics,
Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 40(01), April.
- Lambert, D.M. & Wilcox, M. & English, A. & Stewart, L., 2008. "Ethanol Plant Location Determinants and County Comparative Advantage," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 40(01), pages 117-135, April.
- Stefanou, Spiro E, et al, 1992. "Dynamic Structure of Production under a Quota: The Case of Milk Production in the Federal Republic of Germany," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 19(3), pages 283-299.
- Perrin, Richard K. & Fretes, Nickolas F. & Sesmero, Juan Pablo, 2009. "Efficiency in Midwest US corn ethanol plants: A plant survey," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 1309-1316, April.
- Mahmud, S F & Robb, A L & Scarth, William M, 1987. "On Estimating Dynamic Factor Demands," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 2(1), pages 69-75, January.
- Gallagher, Paul W. & Brubaker, Heather & Shapouri, Hosein, 2005. "Plant Size: Capital Cost Relationships in the Dry Mill Ethanol Industry," Staff General Research Papers Archive 12306, Iowa State University, Department of Economics. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea12:124915. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.