Analyzing FSA Direct Loan Borrower Payback Histories: Predictors of Financial Improvement and Loan Servicing Actions
Classical and count data regression models are estimated to predict improvement in three key financial indicators—net worth, debt-to-asset ratio and current ratio—as well as the number of loan restructurings and delinquencies. Data consist of Farm Service Agency direct loans originated in fiscal years 1994-1996. Models to predict outcomes vary by loan type. Models explaining variation in the financial measures have modest explanatory power but initial levels of debt-to-asset ratio and current ratio are significant in explaining changes in debt-to-asset ratios and current ratios, respectively. Models explaining number of restructurings and delinquencies for operating loans have satisfactory explanatory power. Increasing crop revenues to total farm revenues and increasing farm size lead to increased loan servicing actions
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Escalante, Cesar L. & Brooks, Rodney L. & Epperson, James E. & Stegelin, Forrest E., 2006.
"Credit Risk Assessment and Racial Minority Lending at the Farm Service Agency,"
Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 38(01), pages 61-75, April.
- Escalante, Cesar L. & Brooks, Rodney L. & Epperson, James E. & Stegelin, Forrest E., 2006. "Credit Risk Assessment and Racial Minority Lending at the Farm Service Agency," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 38(01), April.
- Ani L. Katchova, 2005. "Factors affecting farm credit use," Agricultural Finance Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 65(2), pages 17-29, July.
- Featherstone, Allen M. & Wilson, Christine A. & Kastens, Terry L. & Jones, John D., 2005.
"Factors Affecting the Agricultural Loan Decision-Making Process,"
Proceedings: 2005 Agricultural and Rural Finance Markets in Transition,October 3-4, 2005; Minneapolis, Minnesota
132749, Regional Research Committee NC-1014: Agricultural and Rural Finance Markets in Transition.
- Allen M. Featherstone, 2007. "Factors affecting the agricultural loan decision-making process," Agricultural Finance Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 67(1), pages 13-33, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea09:49340. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.