Changes in Debt Patterns and Financial Structure of Farm Businesses: A Double Hurdle Approach
This paper uses a double hurdle model to help explain one aspect of the changing capital structure of U.S. production agriculture--the increase in the number of debt free farms. Our findings suggest that nonfinancial factors, such as operator age, region, risk aversion, and financial factors such as debt service ability and the cost of capital play significant roles in distinguishing borrowers from non borrowers.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jaffee, Dwight M & Modigliani, Franco, 1969. "A Theory and Test of Credit Rationing," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(5), pages 850-872, December.
- Zhao, Jianmei & Barry, Peter J. & Katchova, Ani L., 2008.
"Signaling Credit Risk in Agriculture: Implications for Capital Structure Analysis,"
Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 40(03), pages 805-820, December.
- Zhao, Jianmei & Barry, Peter J. & Katchova, Ani L., 2008. "Signaling Credit Risk in Agriculture: Implications for Capital Structure Analysis," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 40(03), December.
- Euan Phimister, 1995. "Farm Household Production In The Presence Of Restrictions On Debt: Theory And Policy Implications," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(3), pages 371-380.
- Ani L. Katchova, 2005. "Factors affecting farm credit use," Agricultural Finance Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 65(2), pages 17-29, July.
- Ani L. Katchova, 2005. "The Farm Diversification Discount," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 87(4), pages 984-994.
- Katchova, Ani L., 2004. "The Farm Diversification Discount," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20068, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Johann Kirsten & Julian May & Sheryl Hendriks & Charles L. Machethe & Cecelia Punt & Mike Lyne, 2007. "South Africa," Chapters,in: Beyond Food Production, chapter 8 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Nick Vink & Gavin Williams & Johann Kirsten, 2004. "South Africa," Chapters,in: The World's Wine Markets, chapter 12 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Phimister, Euan, 1995. "The Impact of Borrowing Constraints on Farm Households: A Life-Cycle Approach," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 22(1), pages 61-86.
- Yan, Yan & Katchova, Ani L. & Barry, Peter J., 2004. "Risk Balancing Using Farm Level Data: An Econometric Analysis," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20142, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Mishra, Ashok K. & El-Osta, Hisham S. & Morehart, Mitchell J. & Johnson, James D. & Hopkins, Jeffrey W., 2002. "Income, Wealth, And The Economic Well-Being Of Farm Households," Agricultural Economics Reports 33967, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Calum G. Turvey & Alfons Weersink, 1997. "Credit Risk and the Demand for Agricultural Loans," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 45(3), pages 201-217, November.
- Ani L. Katchova & Peter J. Barry, 2005. "Credit Risk Models and Agricultural Lending," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 87(1), pages 194-205.
- Pollak, Robert A, 1985. "A Transaction Cost Approach to Families and Households," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 23(2), pages 581-608, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea09:49402. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.