What Drives Agricultural Profitability in the U.S.: Application of the DuPont Expansion Model
This study uses a financial approach based on the DuPont expansion to examine the significance of specialization and vertical integration on domestic agriculture. The traditional DuPont Expansion decomposes the rate of return to equity into asset efficiency, gross margins, and solvency. We hypothesize that agricultural specialization directly affects the asset efficiency and gross margin of the farm. Specifically, specialization would tend to decrease asset efficiency while increasing the gross margin. On the other hand, vertical integration may affect the gross margin and solvency directly. The effect on solvency would result from the integrator’s use of credit as an incentive. However, the general type of agricultural enterprise integrated may also have implications for asset efficiency. Specifically, livestock operations may tend to have greater asset efficiency than crops. We estimate a system of equations in log space using annual farm-level data from the USDA’s ARMS data, 1996-2006. We include all production regions in the contiguous 48 states, and all farms. We find that specialization and vertical integration are among the key factors driving farm profitability in the U.S.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luca Anderlini & Leonardo Felli, 2001.
"Transaction Costs and the Robustness of the Coase Theorem,"
STICERD - Theoretical Economics Paper Series
409, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Luca Anderlini & Leonardo Felli, 2006. "Transaction Costs and the Robustness of the Coase Theorem," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 116(508), pages 223-245, 01.
- Luca Anderlini & Leonardo Felli, 2000. "Transaction costs and the robustness of the Coase Theorem," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 3591, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Luca Anderlini & Leonardo Felli, 2003. "Transaction Costs and the Robustness of the Coase Theorem," Working Papers gueconwpa~03-03-27, Georgetown University, Department of Economics.
- Nabil Al-Najjar, Luca Anderlini & Leonardo Felli, 2003. "Transaction Costs and the Robustness of the Coase Theorem," Working Papers gueconwpa~03-03-28, Georgetown University, Department of Economics.
- Grossman, Sanford J & Hart, Oliver D, 1986.
"The Costs and Benefits of Ownership: A Theory of Vertical and Lateral Integration,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(4), pages 691-719, August.
- Oliver Hart & Sanford Grossman, 1985. "The Costs and Benefits of Ownership: A Theory of Vertical and Lateral Integration," Working papers 372, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Grossman, Sanford J & Hart, Oliver, 1985. "The Cost and Benefits of Ownership: A Theory of Vertical and Lateral Integration," CEPR Discussion Papers 70, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Grossman, Sanford J. & Hart, Oliver D., 1986. "The Costs and Benefits of Ownership: A Theory of Vertical and Lateral Integration," Scholarly Articles 3450060, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Melvin, Jon & Boehlje, Michael & Dobbins, Craig L. & Gray, Allan W., 2003. "The DuPont Profitability Analysis Model: An E-Learning Application and Evaluation," Proceedings: 2003 Regional Committee NCT-194, October 6-7, 2003; Kansas City, Missouri 132522, Regional Research Committee NC-1014: Agricultural and Rural Finance Markets in Transition.
- Kislev, Yoav & Peterson, Willis, 1982. "Prices, Technology, and Farm Size," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(3), pages 578-95, June.
- Hirschberg, J.G. & Slottje, D.J., 1999. "The Reparametrization of Linear Models Subject to Exact Linear Restrictions," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 702, The University of Melbourne.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea08:6413. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.