Market Structure Conduct Performance (SCP) Hypothesis Revisited using Stochastic Frontier Efficiency Analysis
Use of efficiency measures as a proxy for performance to test the market structure-conduct-performance (SCP) hypothesis is explored. Utilizing Battese and Coelli specification, we estimate stochastic frontier production function and SCP equations with output and efficiency measures as endogenous variables. An empirical application to U.S. trucking carries over the period 1994-2003 with emphasis on the agricultural commodity and refrigerated food products carriers is examined. Results reveal that the variables average haul, average load and market concentration significantly affected the efficiency of firms with 2-8 number of years within each firm.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frech, H E, III & Mobley, Lee Rivers, 2000.
"Efficiency, Growth, and Concentration: An Empirical Analysis of Hospital Markets,"
Western Economic Association International, vol. 38(3), pages 369-384, July.
- Frech, Ted E, 1998. "Efficiency, Growth and Concentration: An Empirical Analysis of Hospital Markets," University of California at Santa Barbara, Economics Working Paper Series qt7cd1329w, Department of Economics, UC Santa Barbara.
- Bauer, Paul W., 1990. "Recent developments in the econometric estimation of frontiers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 39-56.
- Lahiri, Kajal & Yao, Wenxiong, 2004.
"A dynamic factor model of the coincident indicators for the US transportation sector,"
22360, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kajal Lahiri & Wenxiong Yao, 2004. "A dynamic factor model of the coincident indicators for the US transportation sector," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(10), pages 595-600.
- Kari, Fatimah & Jaafar, Abdul H. & Allen, Albert J. & Couvillion, Warren C., 2002. "Market Structure, Market Share, And Profits In The Surface Freight Industry," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19757, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Berger, Allen N & Hannan, Timothy H, 1989.
"The Price-Concentration Relationship in Banking,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 71(2), pages 291-299, May.
- Battese, George E. & Corra, Greg S., 1977. "Estimation Of A Production Frontier Model: With Application To The Pastoral Zone Of Eastern Australia," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 21(03), December.
- Forsund, Finn R. & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1980. "A survey of frontier production functions and of their relationship to efficiency measurement," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 5-25, May.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Allen, Albert J. & Shaik, Saleem & Myles, Albert E. & Muhammad, Safdar, 2005. "The Structure Performance Hypothesis and The Efficient Structure Performance Hypothesis-Revisited: The Case of Agribusiness Commodity and Food Products Truck Carriers in the South," 2005 Annual Meeting, February 5-9, 2005, Little Rock, Arkansas 35519, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Pedro Cantos & José Pastor & Lorenzo Serrano, 1999. "Productivity, efficiency and technical change in the European railways: A non-parametric approach," Transportation, Springer, vol. 26(4), pages 337-357, November.
- Beilock, Richard & Ciello, James D., 2004. "Refrigerated Trucking Revisited," Journal of the Transportation Research Forum, Transportation Research Forum, vol. 43(1).
- Uma S. Kambhampati & Ashok Parikh, 2007.
"Disciplining Firms: The Impact of Trade Reforms on Profit Margins in Indian Industry,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,
in: Trade Liberalisation Impact on Growth and Trade in Developing Countries, chapter 2, pages 27-45
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Uma Kambhampati & Ashok Parikh, 2003. "Disciplining firms: the impact of trade reforms on profit margins in Indian industry," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(4), pages 461-470.
- McDonald, James Ted, 1999. "The Determinants of Firm Profitability in Australian Manufacturing," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 75(229), pages 115-126, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea06:21350. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.