Farmer Trust In Agricultural Cooperatives: Evidence From Missouri Corn And Soybean Producers
We examine whether cooperatives are characterized by greater trust than investor-owned firms. We survey 2000 Missouri corn and soybean farmers and find that trust and farmer perceptions of trustworthiness and competence are higher in cooperatives than in investor-owned firms and that trust is a significant factor explaining the choice of farmers to market to cooperatives rather than investor-owned firms. Interestingly, we find that trust is more significant in producers' decisions for marketing soybeans than for corn.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.orgEmail:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shapira, Reuven, 1999. "Loss of Communal Sustainability: The Kibbutz Shift from High-Trust to Low-Trust Culture," Journal of Rural Cooperation, Hebrew University, Center for Agricultural Economic Research, vol. 27(1).
- Terza, Joseph V., 1987. "Estimating linear models with ordinal qualitative regressors," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 275-291, March.
- Joost M.E. Pennings & Scott H. Irwin & Darrel L. Good, 2002. "Surveying Farmers: A Case Study," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 24(1), pages 266-277.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996.
"Trust in Large Organizations,"
NBER Working Papers
5864, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael E. Sykuta & Michael L. Cook, 2001. "A New Institutional Economics Approach to Contracts and Cooperatives," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1273-1279.
- Harvey James, 2002. "The Trust Paradox: A Survey of Economic Inquiries Into the Nature of Trust and Trustworthiness," Microeconomics 0202001, EconWPA.
- James Jr., Harvey S., 2002. "The trust paradox: a survey of economic inquiries into the nature of trust and trustworthiness," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 291-307, March.
- Margaret Levi, 2000. "When good defenses make good neighbours: a transaction cost approach to trust, the absence of trust distrust," Chapters, in: Institutions, Contracts and Organizations, chapter 12 Edward Elgar.
- James, Harvey S., Jr., 2002.
"The Effect Of Trust On Public Support For Biotechnology: Evidence From The U.S. Biotechnology Study, 1997-1998,"
26041, University of Missouri Columbia, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- James, Harvey S., Jr., 2002. "The Effect Of Trust On Public Support For Biotechnology: Evidence From The U.S. Biotechnology Study, 1997-1998," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19651, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Svein Ole Borgen, 2001. "Identification as a Trust-Generating Mechanism in Cooperatives," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 72(2), pages 209-228, 06.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea04:19974. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.