Farmer Trust In Agricultural Cooperatives: Evidence From Missouri Corn And Soybean Producers
We examine whether cooperatives are characterized by greater trust than investor-owned firms. We survey 2000 Missouri corn and soybean farmers and find that trust and farmer perceptions of trustworthiness and competence are higher in cooperatives than in investor-owned firms and that trust is a significant factor explaining the choice of farmers to market to cooperatives rather than investor-owned firms. Interestingly, we find that trust is more significant in producers' decisions for marketing soybeans than for corn.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Margaret Levi, 2000. "When good defenses make good neighbours: a transaction cost approach to trust, the absence of trust distrust," Chapters, in: Institutions, Contracts and Organizations, chapter 12 Edward Elgar.
- Shapira, Reuven, 1999. "Loss of Communal Sustainability: The Kibbutz Shift from High-Trust to Low-Trust Culture," Journal of Rural Cooperation, Hebrew University, Center for Agricultural Economic Research, vol. 27(1).
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996.
"Trust in Large Organizations,"
NBER Working Papers
5864, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Svein Ole Borgen, 2001. "Identification as a Trust-Generating Mechanism in Cooperatives," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 72(2), pages 209-228, 06.
- James, Harvey S., Jr., 2002.
"The Effect Of Trust On Public Support For Biotechnology: Evidence From The U.S. Biotechnology Study, 1997-1998,"
2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA
19651, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- James, Harvey S., Jr., 2002. "The Effect Of Trust On Public Support For Biotechnology: Evidence From The U.S. Biotechnology Study, 1997-1998," Working Papers 26041, University of Missouri Columbia, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Michael E. Sykuta & Michael L. Cook, 2001. "A New Institutional Economics Approach to Contracts and Cooperatives," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1273-1279.
- Terza, Joseph V., 1987. "Estimating linear models with ordinal qualitative regressors," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 275-291, March.
- James Jr., Harvey S., 2002. "The trust paradox: a survey of economic inquiries into the nature of trust and trustworthiness," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 291-307, March.
- Joost M.E. Pennings & Scott H. Irwin & Darrel L. Good, 2002. "Surveying Farmers: A Case Study," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 24(1), pages 266-277.
- Harvey James, 2002. "The Trust Paradox: A Survey of Economic Inquiries Into the Nature of Trust and Trustworthiness," Microeconomics 0202001, EconWPA.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea04:19974. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.