Optimal Grazing Pressure Under Output Price And Production Uncertainty With Alternative Functional Forms
This study uses a Cox parametric bootstrap test to select between two specifications of the von Liebig hypothesis, a switching regression model and a non-linear mixed stochastic plateau function. The selected production function was used to determine optimal stocking density for dual-purpose winter wheat, under production and output price uncertainty. The switching regression approach was rejected in favor of the non-linear mixed stochastic plateau function. The relatively small difference in optimal stocking density between risk aversion and risk neutrality suggests that risk-aversion is much less important in explaining producer response to uncertainty than is nonlinearity in the production function.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G, 1981.
"Several Tests for Model Specification in the Presence of Alternative Hypotheses,"
Econometric Society, vol. 49(3), pages 781-793, May.
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 1980. "Several Tests for Model Specification in the Presence of Alternative Hypotheses," Working Papers 378, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Robert G. Chambers & Erik Lichtenberg, 1996.
"A Nonparametric Approach to the von Liebig-Paris Technology,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(2), pages 373-386.
- Chambers, Robert G. & Lichtenberg, Erik, 1994. "A Nonparametric Approach to the von Liebig-Paris Technology," Working Papers 197799, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Maddala, G S & Nelson, Forrest D, 1974. "Maximum Likelihood Methods for Models of Markets in Disequilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(6), pages 1013-1030, November.
- Li, Jau-Rong & Barrett, Christopher B., 1999. "Distinguishing Between Equilibrium And Integration In Markets Analysis," Working Papers 14607, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Dameus, Alix & Brorsen, B. Wade & Sukhdial, Kullapapruk Piewthongngam & Richter, Francisca G.-C., 2001. "Aids Versus Rotterdam: A Cox Nonnested Test With Parametric Bootstrap," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20453, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Chambers, Robert G. & Quiggin, John, 2000.
"Decomposing Input Adjustments Under Price and Production Uncertainty,"
197863, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Robert G. Chambers & John Quiggin, 2001. "Decomposing Input Adjustments under Price and Production Uncertainty," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(1), pages 20-34.
- Hashem Pesaran, M. & Pesaran, Bahram, 1993.
"A simulation approach to the problem of computing Cox's statistic for testing nonnested models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 57(1-3), pages 377-392.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Pasaran, B., 1989. "A Simulation Approach To The Problem Of Computing Cox'S Statistic For Testing Non-Nested Models," Papers 7, California Los Angeles - Applied Econometrics.
- L. Allen Torell & Kenneth S. Lyon & E. Bruce Godfrey, 1991. "Long-Run versus Short-Run Planning Horizons and the Rangeland Stocking Rate Decision," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 73(3), pages 795-807.
- N. Coulibaly & B. Wade Brorsen, 1999. "Monte carlo sampling approach to testing nonnested hypothesis: monte carlo results," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(2), pages 195-209.
- Murat Isik, 2002. "Resource Management under Production and Output Price Uncertainty: Implications for Environmental Policy," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(3), pages 557-571.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea03:22020. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.