The Interaction of Working and Speculative Commodity Stocks
This paper models the interaction of working (also called pipeline) and speculative commodity stocks. We model working inventories (i.e., raw material inventories carried by processors) based on Rameys (1989) model of inventories as factors of production, which allows us to represent storage under inter-temporal price backwardation, observed in commodity markets. We incorporate both speculative and working stocks in a simple model to analyze the interaction and to simulate the relationship between inter-temporal commodity price spreads and stocks. Our model replicates common price patters found in commodity markets.
|Date of creation:||2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Deaton, A. & Laroque, G., 1989.
"On The Behavior Of Commodity Prices,"
145, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Development Studies.
- repec:fth:harver:1487 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bailey, Roy E & Chambers, Marcus J, 1994.
"A Theory of Commodity Price Fluctuations,"
Economics Discussion Papers
2772, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Ramey, Valerie A, 1989. "Inventories as Factors of Production and Economic Fluctuations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(3), pages 338-54, June.
- Brennan, Donna & Williams, Jeffrey & Wright, Brian D, 1997. "Convenience Yield without the Convenience: A Spatial-Temporal Interpretation of Storage under Backwardation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(443), pages 1009-22, July.
- Bruce L. Gardner & Ramón López, 1996.
"The Inefficiency of Interest-Rate Subsidies in Commodity Price Stabilization,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(3), pages 508-516.
- Gardner, Bruce L. & Lopez, Ramon, 1993. "The Inefficiency of Interest Rate Subsidies in Commodity Price Stabilization," Working Papers 197794, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Gustafson, Robert L., 1958. "Carryover levels for grains: A method for determining amounts that are optimal under specified conditions," Technical Bulletins 157231, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Deaton, Angus & Laroque, Guy, 1996. "Competitive Storage and Commodity Price Dynamics," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(5), pages 896-923, October.
- repec:crs:wpaper:8909 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lowry, M. Newton, 1988. "Working stocks and speculative stocks," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 311-314.
- Dale W. Jorgenson, 1991. "Productivity and Economic Growth," NBER Chapters, in: Fifty Years of Economic Measurement: The Jubilee of the Conference on Research in Income and Wealth, pages 19-118 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gray, Roger W. & Peck, Anne E., 1981. "The Chicago Wheat Futures Market: Recent Problems in Historical Perspective," Food Research Institute Studies, Stanford University, Food Research Institute, issue 01.
- Miranda, Mario J & Glauber, Joseph W, 1993. "Estimation of Dynamic Nonlinear Rational Expectations Models of Primary Commodity Markets with Private and Government Stockholding," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(3), pages 463-70, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea00:21820. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.