Trust and Prosperity: A Conditional Relationship
The paper extends Breggren et al. (2008, EE) on ‘trust and growth: a shaky relationship” by incorporating recent developments in the trust-growth literature and using a robust methodological underpinning that accounts for the presence of outliers. The empirical evidence is based on 63 countries. Two main findings are established. Firstly, the substantially documented positive trust-growth nexus is broadly confirmed. Secondly, when initial levels of growth come into play in determining the relationship, only 0.25 and 0.90 quantiles confirm the positive nexus. The results suggest that the trust-growth nexus cannot be generalized for all countries as some previous studies have concluded. Accordingly, trust-growth policies should be contingent on existing levels of development and tailored differently across rich and poor countries.
|Date of creation:||07 May 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.afridev.org/index.php/en/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:114:y:1999:i:1:p:83-116 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:115:y:2000:i:3:p:811-846 is not listed on IDEAS
- Okada, Keisuke & Samreth, Sovannroeun, 2012.
"The effect of foreign aid on corruption: A quantile regression approach,"
Elsevier, vol. 115(2), pages 240-243.
- Okada, Keisuke & Samreth, Sovannroeun, 2011. "The effect of foreign aid on corruption: A quantile regression approach," MPRA Paper 27969, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jesús Peiró-Palomino & Emili Tortosa-Ausina, 2012.
"Can trust effects on development be generalized? A response by quantile,"
2012/16, Economics Department, Universitat Jaume I, Castellón (Spain).
- Peiró-Palomino, Jesús & Tortosa-Ausina, Emili, 2013. "Can trust effects on development be generalized? A response by quantile," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 32(C), pages 377-390.
- Peiró Palomino Jesús & Tortosa-Ausina Emili, 2013. "Can Trust Effects on Development be Generalized? A Response by Quantile," Working Papers 2013128, Fundacion BBVA / BBVA Foundation.
- Glaeser, Edward Ludwig & Laibson, David I. & Scheinkman, Jose A. & Soutter, Christine L., 2000.
4481497, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Yann Algan & Pierre Cahuc, 2010.
"Inherited Trust and Growth,"
Sciences Po publications
info:hdl:2441/432sbils8u9, Sciences Po.
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:123:y:2008:i:3:p:905-950 is not listed on IDEAS
- Koenker,Roger, 2005.
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521845731.
- Simplice A. Asongu, 2012.
"Fighting corruption in Africa: do existing corruption-control levels matter?,"
International Journal of Development Issues,
Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 12(1), pages 36-52, February.
- Simplice A, Asongu, 2012. "Fighting corruption in Africa: do existing corruption-control levels matter?," MPRA Paper 36900, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Asongu Simplice, 2012. "Fighting corruption in Africa: do existing corruption-control levels matter?," Working Papers 12/012, African Governance and Development Institute..
- Guido Tabellini, 2008.
"The Scope of Cooperation: Values and Incentives,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2236, CESifo Group Munich.
- Guido Tabellini, 2007. "The Scope of Cooperation: values and incentives," Working Papers 328, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Tabellini, Guido, 2007. "The Scope of Cooperation: Values and incentives," CEPR Discussion Papers 6534, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sjoerd Beugelsdijk & Henri L.F. de Groot & Anton B.T.M. van Schaik, 2004. "Trust and economic growth: a robustness analysis," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 56(1), pages 118-134, January.
- Felix Roth, 2009. "Does Too Much Trust Hamper Economic Growth?," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(1), pages 103-128, 02.
- Asongu, Simplice A., 2013.
"On the effectiveness of foreign aid in institutional quality,"
European Economic Letters,
European Economics Letters Group, vol. 2(1), pages 12-19.
- Asongu Simplice, 2013. "On the effectiveness of foreign aid in institutional quality," Working Papers 0001, African Governance and Development Institute., revised Jan 2013.
- Asongu, Simplice A, 2013. "On the effectiveness of foreign aid in institutional quality," MPRA Paper 46649, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Asongu Simplice, 2013. "On the effectiveness of foreign aid in institutional quality," Working Papers 13/017, African Governance and Development Institute..
- Robert E. Hall & Charles I. Jones, 1999.
"Why Do Some Countries Produce So Much More Output per Worker than Others?,"
NBER Working Papers
6564, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Berggren, Niclas & Elinder, Mikael & Jordahl, Henrik, 2007.
"Trust and Growth: A Shaky Relationship,"
Working Paper Series
705, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- La Porta, Rafael, et al, 1997.
"Trust in Large Organizations,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 87(2), pages 333-38, May.
- Kodila-Tedika, Oasis & Agbor Agbor, Julius, 2012. "Does Trust Matter For Entrepreuneurship : Evidence From A Cross-Section Of Countries," MPRA Paper 42292, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Billger, Sherrilyn M. & Goel, Rajeev K., 2009. "Do existing corruption levels matter in controlling corruption?: Cross-country quantile regression estimates," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(2), pages 299-305, November.
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:112:y:1997:i:4:p:1251-88 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:agd:wpaper:13/024. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Asongu Simplice)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.