Financial sector competition and knowledge economy: evidence from SSA and MENA countries
The goal of this paper is to assess how financial sector competition plays-out in the development of knowledge economy (KE). It contributes at the same time to the macroeconomic literature on measuring financial development and response to the growing field of KE by means of informal sector promotion, micro finance and mobile banking. It suggests a practicable way to disentangle the effects of various financial sectors on different components of KE. The variables identified under the World Bank’s four knowledge economy index (KEI) are employed. Three hypotheses based on seven propositions are tested. Results show: (1) the informal financial sector, a previously missing component in the definition of the financial system by the IMF significantly affects KE dimensions; (2) disentangling different components of the existing measurement of the financial system improves dynamics in the KE-finance nexus and; (3) introduction of measures of sector importance provides relevant new insights into how financial sector competition affects KE.
|Date of creation:||20 Aug 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of the Knowledge Economy|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.afridev.org/index.php/en/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kumbhakar, Subal C. & Mavrotas, George, 2005. "Financial Sector Development and Productivity Growth," Working Paper Series RP2005/68, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Ang, James B. & McKibbin, Warwick J., 2007.
"Financial liberalization, financial sector development and growth: Evidence from Malaysia,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 215-233, September.
- James B. Ang & Warwick J. McKibbin, 2005. "Financial Liberalization, Financial Sector Development And Growth: Evidence From Malaysia," CAMA Working Papers 2005-05, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Simplice A., Asongu, 2011.
"New financial intermediary development indicators for developing countries,"
30921, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Asongu Simplice, 2011. "New financial intermediary development indicators for developing countries," Working Papers 11/005, African Governance and Development Institute..
- King, Robert G & Levine, Ross, 1993.
"Finance and Growth: Schumpeter Might Be Right,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 108(3), pages 717-37, August.
- Thomas Gries & Manfred Kraft & Daniel Meierrieks, 2008.
"Linkages between Financial Deepening,Trade Openness and Economic Development: Causality Evidence from Sub-Saharan Africa,"
Working Papers CIE
15, University of Paderborn, CIE Center for International Economics.
- Gries, Thomas & Kraft, Manfred & Meierrieks, Daniel, 2009. "Linkages Between Financial Deepening, Trade Openness, and Economic Development: Causality Evidence from Sub-Saharan Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(12), pages 1849-1860, December.
- Suleiman Abu-Bader & Aamer S. Abu-Qarn, 2008. "Financial Development and Economic Growth: Empirical Evidence from Six MENA Countries," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(4), pages 803-817, November.
- Simplice A, Asongu, 2012.
"How has mobile banking stimulated financial development in Africa?,"
38576, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Asongu Simplice, 2012. "How has Mobile Banking Stimulated Financial Development in Africa?," Working Papers 12/027, African Governance and Development Institute..
- Henry Kaiser, 1974. "An index of factorial simplicity," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 39(1), pages 31-36, March.
- Merton H. Miller, 1998.
"Financial Markets and Economic Growth,"
Journal of Applied Corporate Finance,
Morgan Stanley, vol. 11(3), pages 8-15.
- Simplice A, Asongu, 2012. "New indicators for the mobile banking nexus," MPRA Paper 38575, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:agd:wpaper:12/021. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Asongu Simplice)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.