Simultaneous Testing of Mean and Variance Structures in Nonlinear Time Series Models
This paper proposes a nonparametric simultaneous test for parametric specification of the conditional mean and variance functions in a time series regression model. The test is based on an empirical likelihood (EL) statistic that measures the goodness of fit between the parametric estimates and the nonparametric kernel estimates of the mean and variance functions. A unique feature of the test is its ability to distribute natural weights automatically between the mean and the variance components of the goodness of fit. To reduce the dependence of the test on a single pair of smoothing bandwidths, we construct an adaptive test by maximizing a standardized version of the empirical likelihood test statistic over a set of smoothing bandwidths. The test procedure is based on a bootstrap calibration to the distribution of the empirical likelihood test statistic. We demonstrate that the empirical likelihood test is able to distinguish local alternatives which are different from the null hypothesis at an optimal rate.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Adelaide SA 5005|
Phone: (618) 8303 5540
Web page: http://www.economics.adelaide.edu.au/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chen, Song Xi & Gao, Jiti & Tang, Chenghong, 2005. "A test for model specification of diffusion processes," MPRA Paper 11976, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Feb 2007.
- J. Carlos Escanciano & Carlos Velasco, 2010.
"Specification tests of parametric dynamic conditional quantiles,"
- Escanciano, Juan Carlos & Velasco, Carlos, 2010. "Specification tests of parametric dynamic conditional quantiles," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 159(1), pages 209-221, November.
- Juan Carlos Escanciano & Carlos Velasco, 2008. "Specification Tests of Parametric Dynamic Conditional Quantiles," Caepr Working Papers 2008-021, Center for Applied Economics and Policy Research, Economics Department, Indiana University Bloomington.
- Bruce Brown & Song Chen, 1998. "Combined and Least Squares Empirical Likelihood," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer;The Institute of Statistical Mathematics, vol. 50(4), pages 697-714, December.
- Yuichi Kitamura, 2001. "Asymptotic Optimality of Empirical Likelihood for Testing Moment Restrictions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 69(6), pages 1661-1672, November.
- Einmahl, J.H.J. & McKeague, I.W., 2003. "Empirical likelihood based hypothesis testing," Other publications TiSEM 2ddb34d8-8ae7-46e3-8004-c, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Gao, Jiti & Tong, Howell & Wolff, Rodney, 2002. "Model Specification Tests in Nonparametric Stochastic Regression Models," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 83(2), pages 324-359, November.
- Fan, Yanqin & Li, Qi, 1996. "Consistent Model Specification Tests: Omitted Variables and Semiparametric Functional Forms," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(4), pages 865-90, July.
- Chen, Song Xi & Härdle, Wolfgang & Kleinow, Torsten, 2000.
"An empirical likelihood goodness-of-fit test for time series,"
SFB 373 Discussion Papers
2001,1, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Song Xi Chen & Wolfgang Härdle & Ming Li, 2003. "An empirical likelihood goodness-of-fit test for time series," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 65(3), pages 663-678.
- Cox, John C & Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr & Ross, Stephen A, 1985. "A Theory of the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(2), pages 385-407, March.
- Jiti Gao & Irene Gijbels, 2009.
"Bandwidth Selection in Nonparametric Kernel Testing,"
School of Economics Working Papers
2009-01, University of Adelaide, School of Economics.
- Gao, Jiti & Gijbels, IrÃ¨ne, 2008. "Bandwidth Selection in Nonparametric Kernel Testing," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 103(484), pages 1584-1594.
- Chen, Song Xi & Gao, Jiti, 2007. "An adaptive empirical likelihood test for parametric time series regression models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 950-972, December.
- Chen, Xiaohong & Fan, Yanqin, 1999. "Consistent hypothesis testing in semiparametric and nonparametric models for econometric time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 373-401, August.
- Gao, Jiti & King, Maxwell, 2004. "Adaptive Testing In Continuous-Time Diffusion Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(05), pages 844-882, October.
- Li, Gang, 2003. "Nonparametric likelihood ratio goodness-of-fit tests for survival data," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 166-182, July.
- Chen, Song Xi & Cui, Hengjian, 2007. "On the second-order properties of empirical likelihood with moment restrictions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 492-516, December.
- Yacine Aït-Sahalia, 1999. "Transition Densities for Interest Rate and Other Nonlinear Diffusions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(4), pages 1361-1395, 08.
- Li, Qi, 1999. "Consistent model specification tests for time series econometric models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 92(1), pages 101-147, September.
- Yacine Ait-Sahalia, 1995.
"Testing Continuous-Time Models of the Spot Interest Rate,"
NBER Working Papers
5346, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ait-Sahalia, Yacine, 1996. "Testing Continuous-Time Models of the Spot Interest Rate," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 9(2), pages 385-426.
- Zhang, Chunming & Dette, Holger, 2004. "A power comparison between nonparametric regression tests," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 66(3), pages 289-301, February.
- Li, Q. & Wang, Suojin, 1998. "A simple consistent bootstrap test for a parametric regression function," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 145-165, August.
- Vidar Hjellvik & Qiwei Yao & Dag Tjostheim, 1998. "Linearity testing using local polynominal approximation," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 6638, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Song Xi Chen & Hengjian Cui, 2006. "On Bartlett correction of empirical likelihood in the presence of nuisance parameters," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 93(1), pages 215-220, March.
- Juan Carlos Escanciano, 2006. "Joint Diagnostic Tests for Conditional Mean and Variance Specifications," Faculty Working Papers 02/06, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- Jianqing Fan & Qiwei Yao, 1998. "Efficient estimation of conditional variance functions in stochastic regression," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 6635, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Ahn, Dong-Hyun & Gao, Bin, 1999. "A Parametric Nonlinear Model of Term Structure Dynamics," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 12(4), pages 721-62.
- Donald, Stephen G. & Imbens, Guido W. & Newey, Whitney K., 2003. "Empirical likelihood estimation and consistent tests with conditional moment restrictions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 117(1), pages 55-93, November.
- Qi Li & Jeffrey Scott Racine, 2006. "Nonparametric Econometrics: Theory and Practice," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 8355.
- Gao, Jiti, 2007. "Nonlinear time series: semiparametric and nonparametric methods," MPRA Paper 39563, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 01 Sep 2007.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:adl:wpaper:2010-28. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dmitriy Kvasov)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.