Goodness-of-fit test for interest rate models: An approach based on empirical processes
A new test for the goodness of fit of parametric forms of the drift and volatility functions of interest rate models is proposed. The test is based on a marked empirical process of the residuals. More specifically, a marked empirical process is constructed using estimators of the integrated regression function and the integrated conditional variance function for the drift function and the volatility function, respectively. Distributions of these processes are approximated using bootstrap techniques. This test is then applied to simulated classical financial models and is illustrated in an empirical application to a EURIBOR data set.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gao, Jiti & Casas, Isabel, 2006.
"Specification testing in discretized diffusion models: Theory and practice,"
11980, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Aug 2007.
- Gao, Jiti & Casas, Isabel, 2008. "Specification testing in discretized diffusion models: Theory and practice," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 147(1), pages 131-140, November.
- Manuel Arapis & Jiti Gao, 2006.
"Empirical Comparisons in Short-Term Interest Rate Models Using Nonparametric Methods,"
Journal of Financial Econometrics,
Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 4(2), pages 310-345.
- Arapis, Manuel & Gao, Jiti, 2004. "Empirical comparisons in short-term interest rate models using nonparametric methods," MPRA Paper 11974, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 23 Dec 2005.
- Zhiying Pan & D. Y. Lin, 2005. "Goodness-of-Fit Methods for Generalized Linear Mixed Models," Biometrics, The International Biometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 1000-1009, December.
- Robert C. Merton, 1973. "Theory of Rational Option Pricing," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 4(1), pages 141-183, Spring.
- Chen, Song Xi & Gao, Jiti & Tang, Chenghong, 2005. "A test for model specification of diffusion processes," MPRA Paper 11976, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Feb 2007.
- Das, Sanjiv R., 2002. "The surprise element: jumps in interest rates," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 106(1), pages 27-65, January.
- Gao, Jiti & King, Maxwell, 2004. "Adaptive Testing In Continuous-Time Diffusion Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(05), pages 844-882, October.
- AÃ¯t-Sahalia, Yacine & Fan, Jianqing & Peng, Heng, 2009. "Nonparametric Transition-Based Tests for Jump Diffusions," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 104(487), pages 1102-1116.
- Ilia Negri & Yoichi Nishiyama, 2009. "Goodness of fit test for ergodic diffusion processes," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 61(4), pages 919-928, December.
- Ait-Sahalia, Yacine, 1996.
"Testing Continuous-Time Models of the Spot Interest Rate,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 9(2), pages 385-426.
- Yacine Ait-Sahalia, 1995. "Testing Continuous-Time Models of the Spot Interest Rate," NBER Working Papers 5346, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yacine Aït-Sahalia, 1999. "Transition Densities for Interest Rate and Other Nonlinear Diffusions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(4), pages 1361-1395, 08.
- Li, Fuchun, 2007.
"Testing The Parametric Specification Of The Diffusion Function In A Diffusion Process,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 23(02), pages 221-250, April.
- Fuchun Li, 2005. "Testing the Parametric Specification of the Diffusion Function in a Diffusion Process," Working Papers 05-35, Bank of Canada.
- Vasicek, Oldrich Alfonso, 1977. "Abstract: An Equilibrium Characterization of the Term Structure," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(04), pages 627-627, November.
- Cox, John C & Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr & Ross, Stephen A, 1985. "A Theory of the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(2), pages 385-407, March.
- Fan J. & Zhang C., 2003. "A Reexamination of Diffusion Estimators With Applications to Financial Model Validation," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 98, pages 118-134, January.
- Vasicek, Oldrich, 1977. "An equilibrium characterization of the term structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 177-188, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:55:y:2011:i:12:p:3073-3092. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.