A Framework for Robustness to Ambiguity of Higher-Order Beliefs
This paper defines simple procedures to construct ambiguous perturbations of belief structures associated to standard type spaces with precise beliefs, based on ambiguous type spaces whose induced belief hierarchies approximate the belief hierarchies corresponding to the initial type space. Two alternative procedures to construct such perturbations are introduced, and are shown to yield a simple and intuitive characterization of convergence of the resulting approximations to the initial unperturbed environment. The perturbations arising from one of these procedures include the set of all finite perturbations as a special case. The introduced perturbations and their convergence properties provide a foundation for the analysis of robustness to ambiguity of various solutions concepts, and for various decision rules under ambiguity.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Canberra, ACT 2601|
Phone: +61 2 6125 3807
Fax: +61 2 6125 0744
Web page: http://rse.anu.edu.au/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eddie Dekel & Drew Fudenberg & Stephen Morris, 2005.
"Topologies on Types,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
2093, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Dekel, Eddie & Fudenberg, Drew & Morris, Stephen, 2006. "Topologies on Types," Scholarly Articles 3160489, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Eddie Dekel & Drew Fudenberg, 2006. "Topologies on Type," Discussion Papers 1417, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Eddie Dekel & Drew Fudenberg & Stephen Morris, 2005. "Topologies on Types," Levine's Bibliography 784828000000000061, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Atsushi Kajii & Takashi Ui, 2004.
"Incomplete Information Games with Multiple Priors,"
KIER Working Papers
583, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Dirk Bergemann & Karl Schlag, 2005.
"Robust Monopoly Pricing,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1527R2, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Sep 2008.
- Dirk Bergemann & Karl Schlag, 2005. "Robust Monopoly Pricing," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1527R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Apr 2007.
- Dirk Bergemann & Karl Schlag, 2007. "Robust Monopoly Pricing," Levine's Bibliography 321307000000000983, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Itzhak Gilboa & David Schmeidler, 1989.
"Maxmin Expected Utility with Non-Unique Prior,"
- Subir Bose & Arup Daripa, 2008.
"A Dynamic Mechanism and Surplus Extraction Under Ambiguity,"
Discussion Papers in Economics
08/24, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- Bose, Subir & Daripa, Arup, 2009. "A dynamic mechanism and surplus extraction under ambiguity," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 144(5), pages 2084-2114, September.
- Subir Bose & Arup Daripa, 2007. "A Dynamic Mechanism and Surplus Extraction Under Ambiguity," Birkbeck Working Papers in Economics and Finance 0716, Birkbeck, Department of Economics, Mathematics & Statistics.
- Aviad Heifetz & Dov Samet, 1996.
"Topology-Free Typology of Beliefs,"
Game Theory and Information
9609002, EconWPA, revised 17 Sep 1996.
- Stauber, Ronald, 2011. "Knightian games and robustness to ambiguity," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 146(1), pages 248-274, January.
- Bose, Subir & Ozdenoren, Emre & Pape, Andreas, 2006.
"Optimal auctions with ambiguity,"
Econometric Society, vol. 1(4), pages 411-438, December.
- Andreas Pape & Subir Bose & Emre Ozdenoren, 2004. "Optimal auctions with ambiguity," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 609, Econometric Society.
- Amanda Friedenberg & Martin Meier, 2011. "On the relationship between hierarchy and type morphisms," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 46(3), pages 377-399, April.
- Brandenburger Adam & Dekel Eddie, 1993.
"Hierarchies of Beliefs and Common Knowledge,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 189-198, February.
- Jonathan Weinstein & Muhamet Yildiz, 2007. "A Structure Theorem for Rationalizability with Application to Robust Predictions of Refinements," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 75(2), pages 365-400, 03.
- Ahn, David S., 2007. "Hierarchies of ambiguous beliefs," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 286-301, September.
- Liu, Qingmin, 2009. "On redundant types and Bayesian formulation of incomplete information," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 144(5), pages 2115-2145, September.
- Nishimura, Kiyohiko G. & Ozaki, Hiroyuki, 2004. "Search and Knightian uncertainty," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 119(2), pages 299-333, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:acb:cbeeco:2013-602. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.