Organisational Innovation, Governance Structure and Innovative Capacity In British and French Industry
This study makes use of the results of a postal questionnaire sent to a sample of large private sector companies in Britain and France to address two key issues in the new institutional analysis of the firm. The first is the way the institutional environment supports and constrains the design of firm-level organisational devices and governance mechanisms. The second concerns the relation between the introduction of new organisational methods and the firm’s innovative capacity. Multiple correspondence analysis is used to describe the relation between the use of innovative work methods and pay policies. The analysis shows that the policies of the British sample of firms display greater ‘coherence’ than those of the French sample, in the sense that a more intensive use of the new organisational methods is more consistently associated with a more intensive use of the new pay policies. Ordered logit regression analysis shows that UK firms with positive expenditures on R&D are more likely to introduce new organisational methods than those not making such expenditures. This relation between the use of new organisational methods and investments in innovative capacity are not confirmed for the French case.
|Date of creation:||1999|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.druid.dk/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard N. Langlois & Nicolai J. Foss, 1996.
"Capabilities and Governance the Rebirth of Production in the Theory of Economic Organization,"
1996-02, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Langlois, Richard N & Foss, Nicolai J, 1999. "Capabilities and Governance: The Rebirth of Production in the Theory of Economic Organization," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(2), pages 201-218.
- Richard N. Langlois & Nicolai J. Foss, 1997. "Capabilities and Governance the Rebirth of Production in the Theory of Economic Organization," DRUID Working Papers 97-2, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Foss, Nicolai Juul, 1993. "Theories of the Firm: Contractual and Competence Perspectives," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 3(2), pages 127-144, May.
- Edward Lorenz, 1999.
"Trust, Contract and Economic Cooperation,"
- Ichniowski, Casey & Shaw, Kathryn & Prennushi, Giovanna, 1997. "The Effects of Human Resource Management Practices on Productivity: A Study of Steel Finishing Lines," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(3), pages 291-313, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aal:abbswp:99-1. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keld Laursen)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.