Current and future monetary cooperation with a focus on the possible monetary union of Gulf Cooperation Council
In: Proceedings of FIKUSZ '09
There is a lot of effort to create new monetary unions in the world. This paper focuses on the cooperation in the monetary field with a view to a possible monetary union of Gulf Cooperation Council. Some existing and proposed monetary unions are discussed in the paper. The focus is especially on the proposed monetary union among states of Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC). In the context of the emerging monetary union, countries of GCC are facing many challenges. The paper presents attempts of GCC countries to cooperate in the monetary field, barriers, benefits of the single currency and a couple of criteria by which can be assessed, whether a monetary union is the right step for this area. Some criteria of the Optimum Currency Area theory are applied to these countries here as well.
|This chapter was published in: László Áron Kóczy (ed.) Proceedings of FIKUSZ '09, , pages 57-69, 2009.|
|This item is provided by Óbuda University, Keleti Faculty of Business and Management in its series Proceedings of FIKUSZ '09 with number 57-69.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1084 Budapest, Tavaszmezö u. 15-17|
Web page: http://www.kgk.uni-obuda.hu
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mohsin S. Khan, 2010.
"The GCC Monetary Union: Choice of Exchange Rate Regime,"
Chapters,in: Currency Union and Exchange Rate Issues, chapter 5
Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Mohsin S. Khan, 2009. "The GCC Monetary Union: Choice of Exchange Rate Regime," Working Paper Series WP09-1, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Behrouz Guerami & S. Nuri Erbas & George T. Abed, 2003. "The GCC Monetary Union; Some Considerations for the Exchange Rate Regime," IMF Working Papers 03/66, International Monetary Fund.
- Steven A Barnett & Rolando Ossowski, 2002. "Operational Aspects of Fiscal Policy in Oil-Producing Countries," IMF Working Papers 02/177, International Monetary Fund.
- Michael J. Chriszt, 2000. "Perspectives on a potential North American monetary union," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, issue Q4, pages 29-38.
- Bassem M Kamar & Samy Ben Naceur, 2007. "GCC Monetary Union and the Degree of Macroeconomic Policy Coordination," IMF Working Papers 07/249, International Monetary Fund. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pkk:sfyr09:57-69. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alexandra Vécsey)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.