In our study we are focusing on the average profitability of the Hungarian commercial banking sector from 2005 to 2014 with special attention on the effects of the financial crisis. In our globalized world the unavoidable question is how the profitability of our banks fits the same values of the North-American and European, especially the V4 commercial banks. In order to find a well-established answer we carried on a financial ratio analysis with the help of the Bankscope database, which was extended with a panel analysis. On the basis of the time series it can be concluded that the performance of the Hungarian commercial banks – at least in case of the profitability- was in a steady decline and far away from the V3 numbers. It cannot be stated that the higher profitability delivers only advantages for the affected national economies. However it is presumed that the interests of the shareholders have an effect on the quantity and quality of the debts, indirectly on the development of the total economy
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Mikkelson, Wayne H. & Partch, M. Megan & Shah, Kshitij, 1997. "Ownership and operating performance of companies that go public," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 281-307, June.
- Athanasoglou, Panayiotis P. & Brissimis, Sophocles N. & Delis, Matthaios D., 2008.
"Bank-specific, industry-specific and macroeconomic determinants of bank profitability,"
Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 121-136, April.
- Athanasoglou, Panayiotis & Brissimis, Sophocles & Delis, Matthaios, 2005. "Bank-specific, industry-specific and macroeconomic determinants of bank profitability," MPRA Paper 32026, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Panayiotis P. Athanasoglou & Sophocles N. Brissimis & Matthaios D. Delis, 2005. "Bank-Specific, Industry-Specific and Macroeconomic Determinants of Bank Profitability," Working Papers 25, Bank of Greece.
- Barros, Carlos Pestana & Ferreira, Candida & Williams, Jonathan, 2007. "Analysing the determinants of performance of best and worst European banks: A mixed logit approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 2189-2203, July.
- Molyneux, Philip & Thornton, John, 1992. "Determinants of European bank profitability: A note," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 1173-1178, December.
- Stephen A. Ross, 1977. "The Determination of Financial Structure: The Incentive-Signalling Approach," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 8(1), pages 23-40, Spring.
- Smirlock, Michael, 1985. "Evidence on the (Non) Relationship between Concentration and Profitability in Banking," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 17(1), pages 69-83, February.
- Barth, James R. & Caprio, Gerard Jr. & Levine, Ross, 2004.
"Bank regulation and supervision: what works best?,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 205-248, April.
- Barth, James R. & Caprio Jr., Gerard & Levine, Ross, 2001. "Bank regulation and supervision : what works best?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2725, The World Bank.
- James R. Barth & Gerard Caprio, Jr. & Ross Levine, 2002. "Bank Regulation and Supervision: What Works Best?," NBER Working Papers 9323, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Constantinos Alexiou & Voyazas Sofoklis, 2009. "Determinants Of Bank Profitability: Evidence From The Greek Banking Sector," Economic Annals, Faculty of Economics, University of Belgrade, vol. 54(182), pages 93-118, July – Se.
- István Ábel & Zsolt Kovalszky & Dániel Módos, 2015. "Hajlító csapások - Az állami segítség ára az Amerikai Egyesült Államok bankrendszerében," Financial and Economic Review, Magyar Nemzeti Bank (Central Bank of Hungary), vol. 14(5), pages 14-32.
More about this item
Keywordscrisis; commercial banks; lending;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pkk:meb017:97-109. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alexandra Vécsey) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Alexandra Vécsey to update the entry or send us the correct email address. General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/gkbmfhu.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.