Choice and Performance of Exchange Rate Regimes in Developing Countries: The Case of Chile
Although an optimal exchange rate regime is dependent on country’s characteristics, intermediate regimes, especially the Managed Floating Plus (MFP) regime and Basket, Band and Crawling Peg (BBC) regime, seem to be viable options for developing countries. This work aims to analyze the issue of exchange rate regime choice and macroeconomic performance in developing countries, particularly in Chile. The analysis of exchange rate volatility, foreign exchange reserves volatility, inflation rate variation and export growth rate seems to prove that the adoption of the crawling band regime was an effective option as a successful transition to a more flexible exchange rate regime.
|This chapter was published in: ||This item is provided by Institute of Economic Sciences in its series Book Chapters with number
conissue-19.||Handle:|| RePEc:ibg:chaptr:conissue-19||Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 12 Zmaj Jovina St, 11000 Belgrade, Serbia|
Phone: +381 11 2622 357, 2623 055
Fax: +381 11 2181 471
Web page: http://www.ien.bg.ac.rs
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2002.
"The Modern History of Exchange Rate Arrangements: A Reinterpretation,"
NBER Working Papers
8963, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2004. "The Modern History of Exchange Rate Arrangements: A Reinterpretation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 119(1), pages 1-48.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2004. "The modern history of exchange rate arrangements: A reinterpretation," MPRA Paper 14070, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Andrea Tokman & Rodrigo Valdés & José De Gregorio, 2005.
"Flexible Exchange Rate with Inflation Targeting in Chile: Experience and Issues,"
IDB Publications (Working Papers)
6696, Inter-American Development Bank.
- José De Gregorio & Andrea Tokman & Rodrigo Valdés, 2005. "Flexible Exchange Rate with Inflation Targeting in Chile: Experience and Issues," Research Department Publications 4427, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Atish R. Ghosh & Anne-Marie Gulde & Holger C. Wolf, 2003. "Exchange Rate Regimes: Choices and Consequences," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262072408.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ibg:chaptr:conissue-19. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zorica Bozic)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.