Central banking in Africa: prospects in a changing world
Governors and senior officials representing some two dozen central banks from Africa and other regions of the world met at the BIS in May 2011 to discuss the monetary policy and financial stability issues facing Africa after the global financial crisis. This volume brings together the background papers prepared for that meeting. The papers cover four broad areas where the crisis could have had potentially the largest impact on central banking in Africa: (i) financial access; (ii) governance arrangements for financial stability; (iii) changes in monetary policy transmission mechanisms; and (iv) capital flows, commodity prices and exchange rates. An overview chapter summarises the main points raised in the discussions and in the background papers. A special feature of the volume are the opening remarks on financial inclusion and the regulation of microfinance, followed by a transcript of the question and answer session with Professor Muhammad Yunus, the 2006 Nobel Peace Prize laureate.
|This book is provided by Bank for International Settlements in its series BIS Papers with number 56 and published in 2011.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (41) 61 - 280 80 80
Fax: (41) 61 - 280 91 00
Web page: http://www.bis.org/
More information through EDIRC
|The following chapters of this book are listed in IDEAS:|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo & Vegh, Carlos, 1994.
"Targeting the real exchange rate: Theory and evidence,"
13412, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Calvo, Guillermo A. & Reinhart, Carmen M. & Vegh, Carlos A., 1995. "Targeting the real exchange rate: theory and evidence," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 97-133, June.
- Carlos A. VÃ©gh Gramont & Guillermo Calvo & Carmen Reinhart, 1994. "Targeting the Real Exchange Rate; Theory and Evidence," IMF Working Papers 94/22, International Monetary Fund.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo & Vegh, Carlos, 1994. "Targeting the real exchange rate," MPRA Paper 13765, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chauvin, Sophie & Geis, André, 2011. "Who has been affected, how and why? The spillover of the global financial crisis to Sub-Saharan Africa and ways to recovery," Occasional Paper Series 124, European Central Bank.
- Herrmann, Sabine & Mihaljek, Dubravko, 2011.
"The determinants of cross-border bank flows to emerging markets: New empirical evidence on the spread of financial crises,"
BOFIT Discussion Papers
3/2011, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Herrmann, Sabine & Mihaljek, Dubravko, 2010. "The determinants of cross-border bank flows to emerging markets: New empirical evidence on the spread of financial crises," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2010,17, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Sabine Herrmann & Dubravko Mihaljek, 2010. "The determinants of cross-border bank flows to emerging markets: new empirical evidence on the spread of financial crises," BIS Working Papers 315, Bank for International Settlements.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bis:bisbps:56. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Beslmeisl)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.