Does Macroeconomics Need Microeconomic Foundations?
I argue that it is microeconomics that needs foundations, not macroeconomics. Preferences need to be built on biology, and, in particular, on neuroscience. In contrast, macroeconomics could benefit from rationalizations of aggregate economic phenomena by non-equilibrium statistical physics.
Volume (Year): 3 (2009)
Issue (Month): ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 8814528
Web page: http://www.economics-ejournal.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arturo Estrella & Jeffrey C. Fuhrer, 2003. "Monetary Policy Shifts and the Stability of Monetary Policy Models," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(1), pages 94-104, February.
- Alan P. Kirman, 1992. "Whom or What Does the Representative Individual Represent?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 6(2), pages 117-136, Spring.
- Bechara, Antoine & Damasio, Antonio R., 2005. "The somatic marker hypothesis: A neural theory of economic decision," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 336-372, August.
- Arthur, W Brian, 1994. "Inductive Reasoning and Bounded Rationality," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(2), pages 406-11, May.
- Thomas A. Lubik & Paolo Surico, 2010.
"The Lucas critique and the stability of empirical models,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(1), pages 177-194.
- Thomas A. Lubik & Paolo Surico, 2006. "The Lucas critique and the stability of empirical models," Working Paper 06-05, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
- AOKI Masanao & YOSHIKAWA Hiroshi, 2007.
"Non-Self-Averaging in Macroeconomic Models: A Criticism of Modern Micro-founded Macroeconomics,"
07057, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Aoki, Masanao & Yoshikawa, Hiroshi, 2007. "Non-Self-Averaging in Macroeconomic Models: A Criticism of Modern Micro-founded Macroeconomics," Economics Discussion Papers 2007-49, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Arthur J. Robson, 2001. "The Biological Basis of Economic Behavior," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 39(1), pages 11-33, March.
- Rudebusch, Glenn D, 2005.
"Assessing the Lucas Critique in Monetary Policy Models,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 37(2), pages 245-72, April.
- Glenn D. Rudebusch, 2002. "Assessing the Lucas critique in monetary policy models," Working Paper Series 2002-02, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Xavier Gabaix, 2008.
"Power Laws in Economics and Finance,"
NBER Working Papers
14299, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lucas, Robert Jr, 1976. "Econometric policy evaluation: A critique," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 19-46, January.
- Geweke, John, 1985. "Macroeconometric Modeling and the Theory of the Representative Agent," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(2), pages 206-10, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:ifweej:7608. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.