Regional estimates of multidimensional poverty in India
This paper estimates and decomposes multidimensional poverty in 82 natural regions in India using unit data from the Indian Human Development Survey (IHDS), 2011-12. Multidimensional poverty is measured in the dimensions of health, education, living standard and household environment using eight indicators and Alkire-Foster methodology. The unique contributions of the paper are inclusion of a direct economic variable (consumption expenditure, work and employment) to quantify the living standard dimension, decomposition of MPI across the dimensions and the indicators, and estimates of multidimensional poverty at the sub-national level. Results indicate that 43% of India's population are multidimensional poor with large regional variations. The average intensity of poverty was 45.5% with a MPI value of 19.3. Six states in India-Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh, Odisha and West Bengal who have a share of 45% of the total population-account for 58% of the multidimensional poor. Across regions, more than 70% of the population are multidimensional poor in the southern region of Chhattisgarh and the Ranchi plateau, while they comprise less than 10% in the regions of Manipur, Mizoram and Chandigarh. The economic poor have a weak association with health and household environment dimensions. The decomposition of MPI indicates that the economic dimension accounts for 22%, the health dimension accounts for 36%, the education dimension accounts for 11% and the household environment accounts for 31% of the deprivation. Based on these analyses, the authors suggest target based interventions in the poor regions to reduce poverty and inequality in India.
Volume (Year): 9 (2015)
Issue (Month): ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kiellinie 66, D-24105 Kiel|
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 8814528
Web page: http://www.economics-ejournal.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alkire, Sabina & Seth, Suman, 2015.
"Multidimensional Poverty Reduction in India between 1999 and 2006: Where and How?,"
Elsevier, vol. 72(C), pages 93-108.
- Sabina Alkire and Suman Seth, 2013. "Multidimensional Poverty Reduction in India between 1999 and 2006: Where and How?," OPHI Working Papers ophiwp060, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- Yélé Batana, 2013. "Multidimensional Measurement of Poverty Among Women in Sub-Saharan Africa," Social Indicators Research: An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality-of-Life Measurement, Springer, vol. 112(2), pages 337-362, June.
- Diego Battiston & Guillermo Cruces & Luis Lopez-Calva & Maria Lugo & Maria Santos, 2013. "Income and Beyond: Multidimensional Poverty in Six Latin American Countries," Social Indicators Research: An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality-of-Life Measurement, Springer, vol. 112(2), pages 291-314, June.
- Diego Battiston, Guillermo Cruces, Luis Felipe Lopez Calva, Maria Ana Lugo and Maria Emma Santos, "undated". "Income and Beyond: Multidimensional Poverty in Six Latin American Countries," OPHI Working Papers ophiwp017, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- Diego Battiston & Guillermo Cruces & Luis Felipe Lopez Calva & Maria Ana Lugo & Maria Emma Santos, 2009. "Income and Beyond: Multidimensional Poverty in six Latin American countries," CEDLAS, Working Papers 0090, CEDLAS, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Diego Battiston & Guillermo Cruces & Luis Felipe Lopez-Calva & Maria Ana Lugo & Maria Emma Santos, 2009. "Income and beyond: Multidimensional poverty in six Latin American countries," Working Papers 142, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Manuela Coromaldi & Mariangela Zoli, 2012. "Deriving Multidimensional Poverty Indicators: Methodological Issues and an Empirical Analysis for Italy," Social Indicators Research: An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality-of-Life Measurement, Springer, vol. 107(1), pages 37-54, May.
- Berenger, Valerie & Verdier-Chouchane, Audrey, 2007. "Multidimensional Measures of Well-Being: Standard of Living and Quality of Life Across Countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 35(7), pages 1259-1276, July.
- repec:pri:rpdevs:deaton_dreze_poverty_india is not listed on IDEAS
- Calvo, Cesar, 2008. "Vulnerability to Multidimensional Poverty: Peru, 1998-2002," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 1011-1020, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:ifweej:201536. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.