Heterogeneity and risk sharing in village economies
We show how to use panel data on household consumption to directly estimate households' risk preferences. Specifically, we measure heterogeneity in risk aversion among households in Thai villages using a full risk‐sharing model, which we then test allowing for this heterogeneity. There is substantial, statistically significant heterogeneity in estimated risk preferences. Full insurance cannot be rejected. As the risk‐sharing as‐if‐complete‐markets theory might predict, estimated risk preferences are unrelated to wealth or other characteristics. The heterogeneity matters for policy: Although the average household would benefit from eliminating village‐level risk, less‐risk‐averse households that are paid to absorb that risk would be worse off by several percent of household consumption.
Volume (Year): 5 (2014)
Issue (Month): (03)
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 1 212 998 3820|
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.qeconomics.org
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: https://www.econometricsociety.org/membership Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chirok Han & Peter C. B. Phillips, 2006.
"GMM with Many Moment Conditions,"
Econometric Society, vol. 74(1), pages 147-192, 01.
- Peter C. B. Phillips & Chirok Han, 2004. "GMM with Many Moment Conditions," Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings 525, Econometric Society.
- Chirok Han & Peter C.B. Phillips, 2005. "GMM with Many Moment Conditions," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1515, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Monica Paiella & Luigi Guiso, 2004.
"Risk Aversion, Wealth and Background Risk,"
2004 Meeting Papers
525, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Luigi Guiso & Monica Paiella, 2007. "Risk Aversion, Wealth, and Background Risk," Economics Working Papers ECO2007/47, European University Institute.
- Guiso, Luigi & Paiella, Monica, 2001. "Risk Aversion, Wealth and Background Risk," CEPR Discussion Papers 2728, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Luigi Guiso & Monica Paiella, 2003. "Risk Aversion, Wealth and Background Risk," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 483, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Alexander Karaivanov & Robert M. Townsend, 2014.
"Dynamic Financial Constraints: Distinguishing Mechanism Design From Exogenously Incomplete Regimes,"
Econometric Society, vol. 82(3), pages 887-959, 05.
- Alexander Karaivanov & Robert M. Townsend, 2013. "Dynamic Financial Constraints: Distinguishing Mechanism Design from Exogenously Incomplete Regimes," NBER Working Papers 19617, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shawn Cole & Xavier Gine & Jeremy Tobacman & Petia Topalova & Robert Townsend & James Vickery, 2013.
"Barriers to Household Risk Management: Evidence from India,"
American Economic Journal: Applied Economics,
American Economic Association, vol. 5(1), pages 104-35, January.
- Robert M. Townsend & Shawn Cole & Jeremy Tobacman & Xavier Gine & James Ian Vickery & Petia Topalova, 2012. "Barriers to Household Risk Management; Evidence from India," IMF Working Papers 12/195, International Monetary Fund.
- Shawn Cole & Xavier Giné & Jeremy Tobacman & Petia Topalova & Robert M. Townsend & James Vickery, 2009. "Barriers to household risk management: evidence from India," Staff Reports 373, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Petia Topalova & Shawn Cole & Xavier Gene & Jeremy Tobacman & Robert Townsend & James Vickery, 2011. "Barriers to Household Risk Management: Evidence from India," Working Papers id:4293, eSocialSciences.
- Cole, Shawn & Gine, Xavier & Tobacman, Jeremy & Topalova, Petia & Townsend, Robert & Vickery, James, 2010. "Barriers to household risk management : evidence from India," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5504, The World Bank.
- Pierre-Andre Chiappori & Krislert Samphantharak & Sam Schulhofer-Wohl & Robert M. Townsend, 2013. "Portfolio choices and risk preferences in village economies," Working Papers 706, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- repec:pri:wwseco:dp235 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hans Binswanger, 1980. "Attitudes toward risk: Experimental measurement in rural india," Artefactual Field Experiments 00009, The Field Experiments Website.
- Pierre-André Chiappori & Monica Paiella, 2008.
"Relative Risk Aversion Is Constant: Evidence from Panel Data,"
5_2008, D.E.S. (Department of Economic Studies), University of Naples "Parthenope", Italy.
- Pierre‐André Chiappori & Monica Paiella, 2011. "Relative Risk Aversion Is Constant: Evidence From Panel Data," Journal of the European Economic Association, European Economic Association, vol. 9(6), pages 1021-1052, December.
- Sam Schulhofer-Wohl, 2011.
"Heterogeneity and tests of risk sharing,"
462, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Dumas, Bernard, 1989. "Two-Person Dynamic Equilibrium in the Capital Market," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 2(2), pages 157-88.
- Sam Schulhofer-Wohl, 2008.
"Heterogeneous Risk Preferences and the Welfare Cost of Business Cycles,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 11(4), pages 761-780, October.
- Sam Schulhofer-Wohl, 2008. "Code and data files for "Heterogeneous Risk Preferences and the Welfare Cost of Business Cycles"," Computer Codes 07-133, Review of Economic Dynamics.
- Mace, Barbara J, 1991. "Full Insurance in the Presence of Aggregate Uncertainty," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(5), pages 928-56, October.
- Mehra, Rajnish & Prescott, Edward C., 1985.
"The equity premium: A puzzle,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 145-161, March.
- Christopher Udry, 1994. "Risk and Insurance in a Rural Credit Market: An Empirical Investigation in Northern Nigeria," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 61(3), pages 495-526.
- Hans P. Binswanger, 1980. "Attitudes Toward Risk: Experimental Measurement in Rural India," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 62(3), pages 395-407.
- Jiang, Wang, 1996. "The term structure of interest rates in a pure exchange economy with heterogeneous investors," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 75-110, May.
- GlennW. Harrison & StevenJ. Humphrey & Arjan Verschoor, 2010. "Choice under Uncertainty: Evidence from Ethiopia, India and Uganda," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 120(543), pages 80-104, 03.
- Maurizio Mazzocco & Shiv Saini, 2012. "Testing Efficient Risk Sharing with Heterogeneous Risk Preferences," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 102(1), pages 428-68, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:quante:v:5:y:2014:i::p:1-27. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.