The efficiency and effectiveness of Malawian parastatals
Eight Malawian parastatals are studied. Using published data and unique material from structured interviews with senior management, the governance, mode of operation, objectives, efficiency and effectiveness of the companies are examined. They are found to be subject to multiple principals and conflicting objectives. Intervention is multifaceted and non-commercial constraints have been imposed. They have rarely followed or been allowed to follow the reform agendas suggested by either theory or by international agencies. A novel methodology to assess effectiveness is developed, and the characteristics of consistent objectives, autonomy, accountability and performance indicators are identified as crucial to improved performance.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 8 (1996)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Klitgaard, Robert, 1989. "Incentive myopia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 447-459, April.
- Frech, H E, III, 1976. "The Property Rights Theory of the Firm: Empirical Results from a Natural Experiment," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(1), pages 143-52, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:jintdv:v:8:y:1996:i:6:p:747-765. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.