An analysis of rural-to-rural migration in India
This paper examines some of the determinants of rural-to-rural migration in India. For female migration for marriage, which accounted for nearly a half of the total rural-to-rural migration flow during the 1970s, the results of the paper are not in discordance with the view of patrilocal exogamy as an insurance mechanism. However, we also find indirect support for the view that where women's economic contributions are seen to be valuable in the context of the family and the village economy, the outmigration of women for the purpose of marriage would ceteris paribus be lower. For migration for purposes other than marriage, the scheduled caste status is seen to have an effect independent of its indirect effect on poverty. However, with the exception of migration for the purpose of marriage, we do not find the influences of our explanatory variables to differ greatly across gender. Copyright © 2000 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 12 (2000)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Breman,Jan, 1996. "Footloose Labour," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521568241, Diciembre.
- Rosenzweig, Mark R & Stark, Oded, 1989.
"Consumption Smoothing, Migration, and Marriage: Evidence from Rural India,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(4), pages 905-926, August.
- Rosenzweig, Mark R. & Stark, Oded, 1987. "Consumption Smoothing, Migration and Marriage: Evidence from Rural India," Bulletins 7515, University of Minnesota, Economic Development Center.
- Breman,Jan, 1996. "Footloose Labour," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521560832, Diciembre. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)