Priority care for employees: A blessing in disguise?
This paper discusses the efficiency and equity effects of priority care for employees. Recent privatization of workers' compensation insurance in the Netherlands caused an increasing tension between public responsibility for health care cost-containment and private responsibility for sick pay. As a result of strict supply side regulation, waiting lists increased, while at the same time employers became fully responsible for sick pay. To reduce sick pay and production losses, employers are prepared to pay for priority care by using available excess capacity. We argue that the criteria of Pareto and Rawls can provide a rationale for the resulting differential treatment of employees and non-employees. However, such a justification crucially depends on weights society assigns to absolute versus relative improvements in access to health care.Copyright © 1999 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 8 (1999)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/5749 |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Evans, R.G. & Culyer, A.J., 1995.
"Mark Pauly on Welfare Economics: Normative Rabbits from Positive Hats,"
Centre for Health Services and Policy Research
95:5r, University of British Columbia - Centre for Health Services and Policy Research..
- Culyer, Anthony J. & Evans, Robert G., 1996. "Mark Pauly on welfare economics: Normative rabbits from positive hats," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 243-251, April.
- Hanning, Marianne, 1996. "Maximum waiting-time guarantee -- an attempt to reduce waiting lists in Sweden," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 17-35, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:hlthec:v:8:y:1999:i:1:p:65-73. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.