Malpractice litigation and medical costs in the United States
This paper examines the relationship of medical malpractice litigation and medical costs in the United States. We relate medical malpractice settlements to medical costs for 190 metro and non-metro areas in the United States over a 5-year period and find that litigation is positively and significantly related to medical costs. Using a panel data set and a fixed-effects specification, the estimates indicate that malpractice litigation accounts for roughly 2-10% of medical expenditures, with the impact exceeding the dollar amount of settlements. Copyright © 2009 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 18 (2009)
Issue (Month): 12 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/5749|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David M. Cutler & Louise Sheiner, 1999.
"The geography of Medicare,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
1999-18, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Brandon Roberts, 2006. "Area Poverty Effects on Local Health Care Costs: An Analysis of Mississippi," Review of Policy Research, Policy Studies Organization, vol. 23(1), pages 223-233, 01.
- Skinner, Jonathan & Fisher, Elliott, 1997. "Regional Disparities in Medicare Expenditures: An Opportunity for Reform," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 50(3), pages 413-425, September.
- Daniel P. Kessler & Mark McClellan, 1996. "Do Doctors Practice Defensive Medicine?," NBER Working Papers 5466, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daniel Kessler & Mark McClellan, 1996. "Do Doctors Practice Defensive Medicine?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 111(2), pages 353-390.
- repec:ntj:journl:v:50:y:1997:i:no._3:p:413-25 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:hlthec:v:18:y:2009:i:12:p:1394-1419. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.