Members' perception of their participation in the governance of cooperatives: the key to trust and commitment in agricultural cooperatives
This study explores the extent to which members' assessment of their cooperatives' degree of success is related to various member attributes, notably the members' perception of their participation in the governance of the cooperatives. Three categories of member attributes are identified: satisfaction with the profitability of farm operations, age of the member, and experience from board work. The cooperatives' degree of success is measured as members' commitment towards cooperatives, and members' trust in the board of directors. The data originate from a mail survey among 2,250 Swedish farmers. The results indicate differences in members' commitment and their trust towards directors to be due to farm profitability, the members' age and experience as directors. After adding members' perception of their participation in the governance as a covariate, most of the other differences are explained by this variable. Age is still partly associated with trust towards directors; older farmers have less trust. [EconLit Classifications: Q13, D23, D72]. © 2009 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume (Year): 25 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harvey S. James & Michael E. Sykuta, 2005. "Property Right and Organizational Characteristics of Producer-owned Firms and Organizational Trust," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 76(4), pages 545-580, December.
- Kurt K. Klein & Timothy J. Richards & Allan Walburger, 1997. "Determinants of Co-operative Patronage in Alberta," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 45(2), pages 93-110, 07.
- Richards, Timothy J. & Klein, Kurt K. & Walburger, Allan M., 1998. "Principal-Agent Relationships in Agricultural Cooperatives: An Empirical Analysis from Rural Alberta," Journal of Cooperatives, NCERA-210, vol. 13.
- Sanjib Bhuyan, 2007. "The "People" Factor in Cooperatives: An Analysis of Members' Attitudes and Behavior," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 55(3), pages 275-298, 09.
- Hakelius, Karin, 1999. "Farmer Cooperatives in the 21st Century: Young and Old Farmers in Sweden," Journal of Rural Cooperation, Hebrew University, Center for Agricultural Economic Research, vol. 27(1).
- Sukant K. Misra & Dale H. Carley & Stanley M. Fletcher, 1993. "Dairy farmers' evaluation of dairy cooperatives," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(4), pages 351-361.
- Linda Robinson & Donald Lifton, 1993. "Convincing growers to fund cooperative marketing activities: Insights from the New York wine grape industry," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(1), pages 65-76.
- Burt, Lawrence A. & Wirth, Myron E., 1990. "Assessing the Effectiveness of Farm Supply Cooperatives: A Comparison of Farmer and Manager Viewpoints," Journal of Agricultural Cooperation, National Council of Farmer Cooperatives, vol. 5.
- Fulton, Joan R. & Adamowicz, Wiktor L., 1993. "Factors That Influence the Commitment of Members to Their Cooperative Organization," Journal of Agricultural Cooperation, National Council of Farmer Cooperatives, vol. 8.
- Dunn, John R., 1988. "Basic Cooperative Principles and Their Relationship to Selected Practices," Journal of Agricultural Cooperation, National Council of Farmer Cooperatives, vol. 3.
- Zeuli, Kimberly A. & Bentancor, Andrea, 2005. "The Effects of Cooperative Competition on Member Loyalty," 2005 Annual Meeting, November 8-9 31823, NCERA-194 Research on Cooperatives.
- Jensen, Kimberly L., 1990. "Factors Associated with the Selection of Cooperative vs. Proprietary Handlers of Milk in Tennessee," Journal of Agricultural Cooperation, National Council of Farmer Cooperatives, vol. 5.
- Kostas Karantininis & Angelo Zago, 2001. "Endogenous Membership in Mixed Duopsonies," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1266-1272.
- Staatz, John M., 1989. "Farmer Cooperative Theory: Recent Developments," Research Reports 52017, United States Department of Agriculture, Rural Development Business and Cooperative Programs.
- Murray Fulton & Konstantinos Giannakas, 2001. "Organizational Commitment in a Mixed Oligopoly: Agricultural Cooperatives and Investor-Owned Firms," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1258-1265.
- Harvey S. James Jr. & Michael E. Sykuta, 2006. "Farmer trust in producer- and investor-owned firms: Evidence from Missouri corn and soybean producers," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(1), pages 135-153.
- Wadsworth, James J., 1991. "An Analysis of Major Farm Characteristics and Farmers' Use of Cooperatives," Journal of Agricultural Cooperation, National Council of Farmer Cooperatives, vol. 6.
- Cain, Jarvis L. & Toensmeyer, Ulrich C. & Ramsey, Stewart, 1989. "Cooperative and Proprietary Firm Performance as Viewed by Their Customers," Journal of Agricultural Cooperation, National Council of Farmer Cooperatives, vol. 4.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:agribz:v:25:y:2009:i:2:p:181-197. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.