Roundup ready® soybeans and welfare effects in the soybean complex
A three-region world model for the soybean complex is developed to evaluate the welfare effects of Roundup Ready (RR) soybean adoption. The structural modeling of the innovation accounts for farmers' adoption incentives and for the observed pricing of RR soybean seeds as a proprietary technology. The calibrated model is solved for various scenarios to evaluate the production, price, and welfare impacts of RR soybean adoption. The United States gains substantially from the innovation, with the innovator capturing the larger share of the welfare gains. US farmers benefit in the base scenario, but would be adversely affected if the RR innovation were to increase yields. Spillover of the new technology to foreign competitors erodes the competitive position of domestic soybean producers, and export of the technology per se may not improve the welfare position of the innovating country. Consumers in every region gain from the adoption of RR soybeans. [JEL Classification: F14, O33, Q16]. © 2000 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 16 (2000)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maredia, Mywish K. & Ward, Richard & Byerlee, Derek, 1996.
"Econometric estimation of a global spillover matrix for wheat varietal technology,"
Blackwell, vol. 14(3), pages 159-173, August.
- Maredia, Mywish K. & Ward, Richard & Byerlee, Derek R., 1996. "Econometric estimation of a global spillover matrix for wheat varietal technology," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 14(3), August.
- William H. Meyers & S. Devadoss & Michael D. Helmar, 1991. "World Soybean Trade Model: Specification, Estimation, and Validation, The," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 91-tr23, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Spencer, Barbara J. & Jones, Ronald W., 1992.
"Trade and protection in vertically related markets,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(1-2), pages 31-55, February.
- Barbara J. Spencer & Ronald W. Jones, 1989. "Trade and Protection in Vertically Related Markets," NBER Working Papers 3023, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jones, R.W. & Spencer, B.J., 1989. "Trade And Protection In Vertically Related Markets," RCER Working Papers 195, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Rausser, Gordon C. & Scotchmer, Suzanne & Simon, Leo K., 1999. "Intellectual Property and Market Structure in Agriculture," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt70j206tr, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Carlson, Gerald A. & Marra, Michele C. & Hubbell, Bryan J., 1997. "Transgenic Technology for Crop Protection: The New "Super Seeds"," Choices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 12(3).
- Stanley M. Besen & Leo J. Raskind, 1991. "An Introduction to the Law and Economics of Intellectual Property," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 5(1), pages 3-27, Winter.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:agribz:v:16:y:2000:i:1:p:33-55. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.