Rent creation and distribution from biotechnology innovations: The case of bt cotton and Herbicide-Tolerant soybeans in 1997
We examine the distribution of welfare from the second-year planting of Bt cotton in the United States in 1997. We also provide preliminary estimates of the planting of herbicide-tolerant soybeans in 1997. For Bt cotton, total increase in world surplus was $190.1 million and US farmer share of total surplus was 42%. The gene developer, Monsanto, received 35% and the rest of the world 6% of the total world surplus. Delta and Pine Land received 9%, whereas US consumers received 7%. For herbicide-tolerant soybeans, total world surplus was $1,061.7 million. US farmers' surplus was 76%, Monsanto's was 7%, US consumers received 4%, and seed companies captured 3% of total surplus. [Econolit: Q120, D600, O330] © 2000 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 16 (2000)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giancarlo Moschini & Harvey Lapan, 1997.
"Intellectual Property Rights and the Welfare Effects of Agricultural R&D,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(4), pages 1229-1242.
- Moschini, GianCarlo & Lapan, Harvey E., 1997. "Intellectual Property Rights and the Welfare Effects of Agricultural R & D," Staff General Research Papers Archive 5048, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Moschini, GianCarlo & LAPAN, HARVEY E, 1997. "Intellectual Property Rights and the Welfare Effects of Agricultural R&D," ISU General Staff Papers 199703010800001286, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Moschini, GianCarlo & Lapan, Harvey E., 1999. "Intellectual Property Rights and the Welfare Effects of Agricultural R&D," Staff General Research Papers Archive 1735, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:agribz:v:16:y:2000:i:1:p:21-32. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.