Evidence for increasing concentration in plant breeding industries in the United States and the European Union
There is evidence of an increase in market concentration and in the importance of private plant breeding in the seed industry following the widespread adoption of Intellectual Property Rights regimes for the industry in the developed world. We use data from the US Patent and Trademark Office, US Plant Variety Protection Office and various European Plant Variety Protection databases to estimate the extent of these changes in the seed corn industry.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www4.agr.gc.ca
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- McCorriston, Steve, 1993. "The Welfare Implications of Oligopoly in Agricultural Input Markets," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 20(1), pages 1-17.
- Richard J. Sexton, 2000. "Industrialization and Consolidation in the U.S. Food Sector: Implications for Competition and Welfare," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(5), pages 1087-1104.
- Fuglie, Keith O. & Heisey, Paul W., 2007. "Economic Returns to Public Agricultural Research," Economic Brief 6388, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Shi, Guanming & Chavas, Jean-Paul & Stiegert, Kyle, 2008. "An Analysis of Bundle Pricing: The Case of the Corn Seed Market," Staff Paper Series 529, University of Wisconsin, Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- Lopez-Pereira, Miguel A. & Garcia, Joao Carlos, 1997. "The Maize Seed Industries of Brazil and Mexico: Past Performance, Current Issues, and Future Prospects," Economics Working Papers 7692, CIMMYT: International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center.
- Alston, Julian M. & Venner, Raymond J., 2000.
"The effects of the U.S. Plant Variety Protection Act on wheat genetic improvement:,"
EPTD discussion papers
62, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Alston, Julian M. & Venner, Raymond J., 2002. "The effects of the US Plant Variety Protection Act on wheat genetic improvement," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 527-542, May.
- Fernandez-Cornejo, Jorge & Spielman, David J., 2002. "Concentration, Market Power, And Cost Efficiency In The Corn Seed Industry," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19877, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Sheldon, Ian M., 2008. "The Biotechnology Sector: "Bounds" to Market Structure," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6078, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Murray Fulton, 1997. "The Economics of Intellectual Property Rights: Discussion," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(5), pages 1592-1594.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aare09:48060. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.