Rating Agencies: Originator, Accelerant or Simply Dragged Into the Sovereign Debt Crisis?
Rating agencies transform data on the political, economic and financial situation of a country into a simple signal for investors. In doing so, they facilitate primarily cross-border investment. Some empirical studies have pinpointed ratings as a cause for the widening interest gap compared to a country that offers safe investment opportunities. Other empirical studies, on the other hand, found a non-linear link between fundamental data on the fiscal position of a country and its interest rate gap vis-à-vis a country with safe investment opportunities.
Volume (Year): 84 (2011)
Issue (Month): 12 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Arsenal Object 20, A-1030 Wien|
Phone: (+43 1) 798 26 01-0
Fax: (+43 1) 798 93 86
Web page: http://www.wifo.ac.at/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Austrian Institute of Economic Research Publikationsverkauf und Abonnentenbetreuung Arsenal, Objekt 20 A-1030 Vienna/Austria|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Cantor & Frank Packer, 1996.
"Determinants and impacts of sovereign credit ratings,"
9608, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Richard Cantor & Frank Packer, 1996. "Determinants and impact of sovereign credit ratings," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Oct, pages 37-53.
- Thomas Laubach, 2003.
"New evidence on the interest rate effects of budget deficits and debt,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2003-12, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Thomas Laubach, 2009. "New Evidence on the Interest Rate Effects of Budget Deficits and Debt," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 7(4), pages 858-885, 06.
- Stahl, Konrad & Strausz, Roland, 2011.
"Who Should Pay for Certification?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8190, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Konrad O. Stahl & Roland Strausz, 2011. "Who Should Pay for Certification?," CESifo Working Paper Series 3365, CESifo Group Munich.
- Stahl, Konrad & Strausz, Roland, 2011. "Who should pay for certification?," ZEW Discussion Papers 11-054, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Stahl, Konrad & Strausz, Roland, 2010. "Who Should Pay for Certification?," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 323, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- G. Ferri & L.-G. Liu & J. E. Stiglitz, 1999. "The Procyclical Role of Rating Agencies: Evidence from the East Asian Crisis," Economic Notes, Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena SpA, vol. 28(3), pages 335-355, November.
- Calvo, Guillermo A, 1988. "Servicing the Public Debt: The Role of Expectations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(4), pages 647-61, September.
- Stock, James H. & Watson, Mark W., 1999.
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 293-335, October.
- Andrew Powell & Juan Francisco Martínez, 2008.
"On Emerging Economy Sovereign Spreads and Ratings,"
IDB Publications (Working Papers)
6735, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Carmen M. Reinhart, 2002.
"Default, Currency Crises, and Sovereign Credit Ratings,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 16(2), pages 151-170, August.
- Reinhart, Carmen, 2002. "Default, currency crises, and sovereign credit ratings," MPRA Paper 13917, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carmen M. Reinhart, 2002. "Default, Currency Crises and Sovereign Credit Ratings," NBER Working Papers 8738, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kaminsky, Graciela & Schmukler, Sergio, 2001.
"Emerging markets instability: do sovereign ratings affect country risk and stock returns?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2678, The World Bank.
- Graciela Kaminsky & Sergio L. Schmukler, 2002. "Emerging Market Instability: Do Sovereign Ratings Affect Country Risk and Stock Returns?," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 16(2), pages 171-195, August.
- James M. Poterba & Kim S. Rueben, 1997.
"State Fiscal Institutions and the U.S. Municipal Bond Market,"
NBER Working Papers
6237, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James M. Poterba & Kim Rueben, 1999. "State Fiscal Institutions and the U.S. Municipal Bond Market," NBER Chapters, in: Fiscal Institutions and Fiscal Performance, pages 181-208 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lorenzo Codogno & Carlo Favero & Alessandro Missale, 2003. "Yield spreads on EMU government bonds," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 18(37), pages 503-532, October.
- Barry Eichengreen & Ashoka Mody, 1998. "What Explains Changing Spreads on Emerging-Market Debt: Fundamentals or Market Sentiment?," NBER Working Papers 6408, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hallerberg, Mark & Wolff, Guntram B., 2006. "Fiscal institutions, fiscal policy and sovereign risk premia," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2006,35, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Simone Manganelli & Guido Wolswijk, 2009. "What drives spreads in the euro area government bond market?," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 24, pages 191-240, 04.
- repec:kap:iaecre:v:17:y:2011:i:3:p:288-299 is not listed on IDEAS
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2014.
"A Decade of Debt,"
Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series,
in: Miguel Fuentes D. & Claudio E. Raddatz & Carmen M. Reinhart (ed.), Capital Mobility and Monetary Policy, edition 1, volume 18, chapter 4, pages 97-135
Central Bank of Chile.
- Riccardo Faini, 2006. "Fiscal policy and interest rates in Europe," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 21(47), pages 443-489, 07.
- Ferri, Giovanni & Liu, Li-Gang & Majnoni, Giovanni, 2001. "The role of rating agency assessments in less developed countries: Impact of the proposed Basel guidelines," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 115-148, January.
- Helmut Reisen & Julia Maltzan, 1998.
"Sovereign credit ratings, emerging market risk and financial market volatility,"
Intereconomics: Review of European Economic Policy,
Springer;German National Library of Economics;Centre for European Policy Studies (CEPS), vol. 33(2), pages 73-82, March.
- Reisen, Helmut & von Maltzan, Julia, 1998. "Sovereign credit ratings, emerging market risk and financial market volatility," HWWA Discussion Papers 55, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Perry, Guillermo & Serven, Luis, 2003. "The anatomy of a multiple crisis : why was Argentina special and what can we learn from it?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3081, The World Bank.
- Gärtner, Manfred & Griesbach, Bjoern & Jung, Florian, 2011.
"PIGS or Lambs? The European Sovereign Debt Crisis and the Role of Rating Agencies,"
Economics Working Paper Series
1106, University of St. Gallen, School of Economics and Political Science.
- Manfred Gärtner & Björn Griesbach & Florian Jung, 2011. "PIGS or Lambs? The European Sovereign Debt Crisis and the Role of Rating Agencies," International Advances in Economic Research, Springer;International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 17(3), pages 288-299, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wfo:monber:y:2011:i:12:p:811-825. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ilse Schulz)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.