Decomposition of Warm Glow for Multiple Stakeholders: Stated Choice Valuation of Shellfishery Policy
A monetary valuation study of marine management in the Dutch Wadden Sea, the largest natural area of the Netherlands, is presented. The study is motivated by a conflict between shellfisheries and large populations of birds that forage on cockles. Different management scenarios are valued using multiple stakeholders, namely Dutch citizens, local residents, tourists, policy makers, and natural scientists. A considerable difference in willingness to pay (WTP) between these groups is found. In addition, the influence of motivational profiles is examined. Estimates confirm the presence of two such motivations, namely, material and moral warm glow. These allow for decomposition and correction of the WTP estimates.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wiktor Adamowicz & Peter Boxall & Michael Williams & Jordan Louviere, 1998. "Stated Preference Approaches for Measuring Passive Use Values: Choice Experiments and Contingent Valuation," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(1), pages 64-75.
- Nunes, Paulo A. L. D., 2002. "Using factor analysis to identify consumer preferences for the protection of a natural area in Portugal," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 140(2), pages 499-516, July.
- Hanley, Nick & Mourato, Susana & Wright, Robert E, 2001. " Choice Modelling Approaches: A Superior Alternative for Environmental Valuation?," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(3), pages 435-462, July.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Knetsch, Jack L., 1992. "Valuing public goods: The purchase of moral satisfaction," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 57-70, January.
- Louviere,Jordan J. & Hensher,David A. & Swait,Joffre D., 2000. "Stated Choice Methods," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521788304, December.
- Nunes, Paulo A. L. D. & Schokkaert, Erik, 2003. "Identifying the warm glow effect in contingent valuation," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 231-245, March.
- repec:ucp:bkecon:9780226316529 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uwp:landec:v:85:y:2009:i:3:p:485-499. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.