How Can We Reduce the Errors from Benefits Transfer? An Investigation Using the Choice Experiment Method
Policymakers are increasingly making use of benefits transfer in benefit-cost assessments of environmental policy. An important question is how big the resultant errors are, and how sensitive errors are to how the transfer is conducted. We employ a choice experiment focusing on landscape attributes to investigate the sensitivity of transfer error to procedures. The main findings are that errors depend on the choice of study site at which original valuations are sought, on whether a single site or pooled model is used; and that adding more information by pooling sites does not always seem to be economically desirable.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kenneth E. Train, 1998. "Recreation Demand Models with Taste Differences over People," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 74(2), pages 230-239.
- Yong Jiang & Stephen Swallow & Michael Mcgonagle, 2005. "Context-Sensitive Benefit Transfer Using Stated Choice Models: Specification and Convergent Validity for Policy Analysis," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 31(4), pages 477-499, 08.
- Anne Rozan, 2004. "Benefit Transfer: A Comparison of WTP for Air Quality between France and Germany," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 29(3), pages 295-306, November.
- Louviere,Jordan J. & Hensher,David A. & Swait,Joffre D., 2000. "Stated Choice Methods," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521788304, 1.
- Sergio Colombo & Nick Hanley & Javier Calatrava-Requena, 2005. "Designing Policy for Reducing the Off-farm Effects of Soil Erosion Using Choice Experiments," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(1), pages 81-95.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uwp:landec:v:84:y:2008:i:1:p:128-147. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.