Obstacles to bank financing of micro and small enterprises: empirical evidence from the Pacific with some policy implications
In recognizing on one hand the importance of the micro and small enterprise (MSE) sector for the growth and development of economies in the Pacific subregion and on the other, the financing constraints of the sector, the authors surveyed a group of MSEs in a Pacific island country and found that the sector may be particularly constrained by bank interest rates, fees and charges, and collateral requirements. This situation holds implications for policy, and the authors propose an initiative led by the banking sector to improve the situation. Keeping in mind an economy’s specific financial, regulatory, economic and other structures and circumstances, voluntary or mandatory, it seems as if direct or indirect bank involvement appears vital. The implications for economic growth and development are considerable.
Volume (Year): 19 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: The United Nations Building, Rajadamnern Nok Avenue, Bangkok 10200|
Phone: (66-2) 288-1234
Fax: (66-2) 288-1000
Web page: http://www.unescap.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- N. Berger, Allen & F. Udell, Gregory, 1998.
"The economics of small business finance: The roles of private equity and debt markets in the financial growth cycle,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 22(6-8), pages 613-673, August.
- Allen N. Berger & Gregory F. Udell, 1998. "The economics of small business finance: the roles of private equity and debt markets in the financial growth cycle," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1998-15, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Beck, Thorsten & Klapper, Leora F. & Mendoza, Juan Carlos, 2010.
"The typology of partial credit guarantee funds around the world,"
Journal of Financial Stability,
Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 10-25, April.
- Beck, Thorsten & Klapper, Leora F. & Mendoza, Juan Carlos, 2008. "The typology of partial credit guarantee funds around the world," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4771, The World Bank.
- Attila Havas, 2002.
"Does Innovation Policy Matter in a Transition Country? – The case of Hungary,"
IEHAS Discussion Papers
0205, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Havas, Attila, 2002. "Does innovation policy policy matter? The case of Hungary," MPRA Paper 61180, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mark L. Gertler, 1988.
"Financial Structure and Aggregate Economic Activity: An Overview,"
NBER Working Papers
2559, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mark Gertler, 1988. "Financial structure and aggregate economic activity: an overview," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 559-596.
- Gertler, Mark, 1988. "Financial Structure and Aggregate Economic Activity: An Overview," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 20(3), pages 559-88, August.
- Steven N. Kaplan & Luigi Zingales, 1997. "Do Investment-Cash Flow Sensitivities Provide Useful Measures of Financing Constraints?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 112(1), pages 169-215.
- Parmendra Sharma & Duc-Tho Nguyen, 2009. "Law and banking development in a South Pacific island economy: The case of Fiji, 1970â2006," Discussion Papers in Economics economics:200902, Griffith University, Department of Accounting, Finance and Economics.
- Myers, Stewart C, 1984. " The Capital Structure Puzzle," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(3), pages 575-92, July.
- Steven M. Fazzari & R. Glenn Hubbard & BRUCE C. PETERSEN, 1988.
"Financing Constraints and Corporate Investment,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 19(1), pages 141-206.
- Meghana Ayyagari & Thorsten Beck & Asli Demirguc-Kunt, 2007. "Small and Medium Enterprises Across the Globe," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 29(4), pages 415-434, December.
- Myers, Stewart C., 1984. "Capital structure puzzle," Working papers 1548-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Evans, David S & Jovanovic, Boyan, 1989. "An Estimated Model of Entrepreneurial Choice under Liquidity Constraints," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(4), pages 808-27, August.
- Klapper, Leora & Laeven, Luc & Rajan, Raghuram, 2006. "Entry regulation as a barrier to entrepreneurship," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 82(3), pages 591-629, December.
- Stewart C. Myers, 1984. "Capital Structure Puzzle," NBER Working Papers 1393, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Parmendra Sharma & Neelesh Gounder, 2011. "Supply Side Obstacles to Financing the Private Sector: Empirical Evidence from a Small Island Developing State," Discussion Papers in Finance finance:201101, Griffith University, Department of Accounting, Finance and Economics.
- Parmendra Sharma & Mark Brimble, . "2012-11 Sustainable development in the small states of the South Pacific: Toward a corporate social responsibility for international banks in small economies," Discussion Papers in Finance finance:201211, Griffith University, Department of Accounting, Finance and Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unt:jnapdj:v:19:y:2012:i:2:p:49-75. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Macroeconomic Policy and Development Division, ESCAP)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.