Global poverty and inequality in the 20th century: turning the corner?
Living standards increased markedly during the 20th century. Moreover, recent studies have shown that over about the last thirty years, the majority of the world’s poor have achieved income growth faster than in developed countries for the first time in two centuries. But because income differences had become very wide and the developed countries’ incomes are still growing, absolute (dollar) income gaps will continue to widen for some time yet.
Volume (Year): (2001)
Issue (Month): 1 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +61 2 6263 2111
Fax: +61 2 6273 2614
Web page: http://www.treasury.gov.au
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- William D. Nordhaus, 1995. "How Should We Measure Sustainable Income?," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1101, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Peter H. Lindert & Jeffrey G. Williamson, 2001.
"Does Globalization Make the World More Unequal?,"
NBER Working Papers
8228, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sachs, Jeffrey D, 1999. "Twentieth-Century Political Economy: A Brief History of Global Capitalism," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 15(4), pages 90-101, Winter.
- Nuxoll, Daniel A, 1994. "Differences in Relative Prices and International Differences in Growth Rates," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(5), pages 1423-36, December.
- Srinivasan, T.N. & Bhagwati, J., 1999. "Outward-Orientation and Development: Are Revisionist Right?," Papers 806, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- T. N. Srinivasan & Jagdish Bhagwati, 1999. "Outward-Orientation and Development: Are Revisionists Right," Working Papers 806, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tsy:journl:journl_tsy_er_2001_1_1. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (The Treasury (Commonwealth of Australia))
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.