Easy demand-system estimation with quaids
Previously, to fit an almost-ideal demand system in Stata, one would have to use the nlsur command and write a function evaluator program as described in [R] nlsur and Poi (2008, Stata Journal 8: 554–556). In this article, I introduce the command quaids, which obviates the need for any programming by the user. The command fits Deaton and Muellbauer's (1980b, American Economic Review 70: 312–326) original almost-ideal demand-system model as well as Banks, Blundell, and Lewbel's (1997, Review of Economics and Statistics 79: 527–539) quadratic variant. Demographic variables can also be included in the model. Postestimation tools calculate expenditure and price elasticities.
Volume (Year): 12 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Note:||to access software from within Stata, net describe http://www.stata-journal.com/software/sj12-3/st0268/|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.stata-journal.com/|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.stata-journal.com/subscription.html|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blacklow, Paul & Nicholas, Aaron & Ray, Ranjan, 2008.
"Demographic demand systems with application to equivalence scales estimation and inequality analysis: the Australian evidence,"
9289, University of Tasmania, Tasmanian School of Business and Economics, revised 01 Dec 2008.
- Paul Blacklow & Aaron Nicholas & Ranjan Ray, 2010. "Demographic Demand Systems With Application To Equivalence Scales Estimation And Inequality Analysis: The Australian Evidence," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(3), pages 161-179, 09.
- James Banks & Richard Blundell & Arthur Lewbel, 1997. "Quadratic Engel Curves And Consumer Demand," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 527-539, November.
- Mas-Colell, Andreu & Whinston, Michael D. & Green, Jerry R., 1995. "Microeconomic Theory," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195102680, December.
- Pollak, Robert A & Wales, Terence J, 1981. "Demographic Variables in Demand Analysis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(6), pages 1533-51, November.
- Ray, Ranjan, 1983. "Measuring the costs of children : An alternative approach," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 89-102, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tsj:stataj:v:12:y:2012:i:3:p:433-446. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)or (Lisa Gilmore)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.