Easy demand-system estimation with quaids
Previously, to fit an almost-ideal demand system in Stata, one would have to use the nlsur command and write a function evaluator program as described in [R] nlsur and Poi (2008, Stata Journal 8: 554–556). In this article, I introduce the command quaids, which obviates the need for any programming by the user. The command fits Deaton and Muellbauer's (1980b, American Economic Review 70: 312–326) original almost-ideal demand-system model as well as Banks, Blundell, and Lewbel's (1997, Review of Economics and Statistics 79: 527–539) quadratic variant. Demographic variables can also be included in the model. Postestimation tools calculate expenditure and price elasticities.
Volume (Year): 12 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Note:||to access software from within Stata, net describe http://www.stata-journal.com/software/sj12-3/st0268/|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.stata-journal.com/|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.stata-journal.com/subscription.html|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mas-Colell, Andreu & Whinston, Michael D. & Green, Jerry R., 1995. "Microeconomic Theory," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195102680.
- Blacklow, Paul & Nicholas, Aaron & Ray, Ranjan, 2008.
"Demographic demand systems with application to equivalence scales estimation and inequality analysis: the Australian evidence,"
9289, University of Tasmania, Tasmanian School of Business and Economics, revised 01 Dec 2008.
- Paul Blacklow & Aaron Nicholas & Ranjan Ray, 2010. "Demographic Demand Systems With Application To Equivalence Scales Estimation And Inequality Analysis: The Australian Evidence," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(3), pages 161-179, 09.
- Ray, Ranjan, 1983. "Measuring the costs of children : An alternative approach," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 89-102, October.
- James Banks & Richard Blundell & Arthur Lewbel, 1997. "Quadratic Engel Curves And Consumer Demand," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 527-539, November.
- Pollak, Robert A & Wales, Terence J, 1981. "Demographic Variables in Demand Analysis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(6), pages 1533-1551, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tsj:stataj:v:12:y:2012:i:3:p:433-446. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)or (Lisa Gilmore)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.