Estimating Firm Behavior under Rationing: a Panel Data Study of the Chinese Manufacturing Industry
The purpose of this paper is to investigate the impacts of rationing on firm behavior. A virtual price approach is adopted to derive the rationed elasticities of variable input demands and output supply under a translog profit function. To illustrate the difference between the rationed and unrationed elasticities, we conduct an analysis using a firm-level annual survey data of China over the period 1985-88. Our estimation results indicate that the values of most elasticities would have been affected significantly if the government had imposed rationing on material inputs. The behavior of Chinese firms would have been seriously distorted in a complicated way. The firms would have over-responded to market signals in making some of their input or output decisions and, at the same time, might have under-reacted, or would have not changed their reaction, in making the other input or output decisions, under a rationing regime.
Volume (Year): 1 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RCEA20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RCEA20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Neary, J. P. & Roberts, K. W. S., 1980.
"The theory of household behaviour under rationing,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 25-42, January.
- Neary, J.P & Roberts, K.W.S, 1978. "The Theory of Household Behaviour under Rationing," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 132, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Berndt, Ernst R & Wood, David O, 1975. "Technology, Prices, and the Derived Demand for Energy," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 57(3), pages 259-268, August.
- Johnson, Todd M, 1995. "Development of China's Energy Sector: Reform, Efficiency, and Environmental Impacts," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(4), pages 118-132, Winter.
- Chamberlain, Gary, 1984. "Panel data," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 22, pages 1247-1318 Elsevier.
- Kulatilaka, Nalin, 1985. "Tests on the validity of static equilibrium models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 253-268, May.
- Jacques Mairesse & Zvi Griliches, 1988. "Heterogeneity in Panel Data: Are There Stable Production Functions?," NBER Working Papers 2619, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chao Yang Peng, 1996. "Challenges to China's Energy Security," Chinese Economies Research Centre (CERC) Working Papers 1996-08, University of Adelaide, Chinese Economies Research Centre.
- Squires, Dale, 1994. "Firm behavior under input rationing," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 235-257, April.
- Fulginiti, Lilyan & Perrin, Richard, 1993. "The Theory and Measurement of Producer Response under Quotas," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(1), pages 97-106, February.
- Lau, Lawrence J., 1976. "A characterization of the normalized restricted profit function," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 131-163, February.
- Hausman, Jerry, 2015.
"Specification tests in econometrics,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 38(2), pages 112-134.
- Sakai, Yasuhiro, 1974. "Substitution and expansion effects in production theory: The case of joint production," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 255-274, November.
- Chamberlain, Gary, 1982. "Multivariate regression models for panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 5-46, January.
- Sinton, Jonathan E., 2001. "Accuracy and reliability of China's energy statistics," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 373-383.
- Chambers,Robert G., 1988. "Applied Production Analysis," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521314275, May.
- Ramon E. Lopez, 1984. "Estimating Substitution and Expansion Effects Using a Profit Function Framework," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 66(3), pages 358-367.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:jocebs:v:1:y:2003:i:2:p:221-244. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.