On the semantic approach to econometric methodology
In recent research, Davis (2005) has introduced the semantic conception of theories as a means of studying the differing practices of the Textbook and LSE approaches to econometric modelling. In this paper, Davis' (2005) use of the semantic view is examined, with close attention paid to the stated roles of the semantic notions of 'model dimensions' and 'bridging assumptions'. While comments concerning the latter are of a supportive nature, some concerns are raised in relation to Davis' use of model dimensions.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 12 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RJEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RJEC20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gouriéroux, Christian & Monfort, Alain, 1994.
"Testing, encompassing and simulating dynamic econometric models,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange)
- Gouriéroux, Christian & Monfort, Alain, 1995. "Testing, Encompassing, and Simulating Dynamic Econometric Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(02), pages 195-228, February.
- Michael P. Clements & David F. Hendry, 2001. "Forecasting Non-Stationary Economic Time Series," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262531895, December.
- Davidson, James E H, et al, 1978. "Econometric Modelling of the Aggregate Time-Series Relationship between Consumers' Expenditure and Income in the United Kingdom," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 88(352), pages 661-92, December.
- Bontemps, Christophe & Mizon, Grayham E., 2001. "Congruence and encompassing," Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics 0107, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:jecmet:v:12:y:2005:i:1:p:117-123. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.