Drivers of firms’ debt ratios: evidence from Taiwanese and Turkish firms
This study investigates the drivers of debt ratios of the firms listed on the stock markets of two different countries, namely Turkey, a developing country and Taiwan, a newly developed country. The factors impacting short-term, long-term, and total debts are selected as EBIT (Earnings before Interest and Tax), ROE (Return on Equity), sales, total assets, fixed assets-total assets ratio, and depreciation-total assets ratio. The findings indicate that there are differences between Turkish and Taiwanese firms in terms of the drivers’ impacts on the debt structures of the firms. The proposed regression models work better on the data collected from Taiwan as compared to the data from Turkey. Possible reasons are discussed in the final section.
Volume (Year): 13 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/TBEM20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/TBEM20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harris, Milton & Raviv, Artur, 1991. " The Theory of Capital Structure," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(1), pages 297-355, March.
- Fattouh, Bassam & Scaramozzino, Pasquale & Harris, Laurence, 2005.
"Capital structure in South Korea: a quantile regression approach,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 76(1), pages 231-250, February.
- Fattouh, Bassam & Pasquale Scaramozzino & Laurence Hariss, 2002. "Capital structure in South Korea: A Quantile Regression Approach," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002 70, Royal Economic Society.
- Bassam Fattouh & Laurence Harris & Pasquale Scaramozzino, 2003. "Capital Structure in South Korea: A Quantile Regression Approach," CEIS Research Paper 40, Tor Vergata University, CEIS.
- Dalmazzo, Alberto & Marini, Giancarlo, 2000. "Foreign Debt, Sanctions and Investment: A Model with Politically Unstable Less Developed Countries," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(2), pages 141-53, April.
- Harford, Jarrad & Klasa, Sandy & Walcott, Nathan, 2009. "Do firms have leverage targets? Evidence from acquisitions," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 1-14, July.
- Cadenillas, Abel & Cvitanic, Jaksa & Zapatero, Fernando, 2004. "Leverage decision and manager compensation with choice of effort and volatility," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 71-92, July.
- Singh, Manohar & Nejadmalayeri, Ali, 2004. "Internationalization, capital structure, and cost of capital: evidence from French corporations," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 153-169, April.
- Carl Chiarella & Toan Pham & Ah Boon Sim & Madeleine Tan, 1991. "Determinants of Corporate Capital Structure: Australian Evidence," Working Paper Series 3, Finance Discipline Group, UTS Business School, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Campello, Murillo, 2006. "Debt financing: Does it boost or hurt firm performance in product markets?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 135-172, October.
- Jeffrey MacKie-Mason, 1988.
"Do Taxes Affect Corporate Financing Decisions?,"
NBER Working Papers
2632, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Choudhry, Taufiq, 2001. "Month of the Year Effect and January Effect in Pre-WWI Stock Returns: Evidence from a Non-linear GARCH Model," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(1), pages 1-11, January.
- Wald, John K, 1999. "How Firm Characteristics Affect Capital Structure: An International Comparison," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 22(2), pages 161-87, Summer.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 1998.
"Financial crises in Asia and Latin America: Then and now,"
13877, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kaminsky, Graciela L & Reinhart, Carmen M, 1998. "Financial Crises in Asia and Latin America: Then and Now," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(2), pages 444-48, May.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 2000.
"Crisis financieras en Asia y Latinoamerica: ahora y entonces
[Financial Crises in Asia and Latin America Different: Then and Now]," MPRA Paper 13735, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Booth, L. & Asli Demirgu-Kunt, V.A. & Maksimovic, V., 1999.
"Capital Structure in Developing Countries,"
Rotman School of Management - Finance
00-001, Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Diao, Xinshen & Roe, Terry L. & Yeldan, A. Erinc, 1998.
"How Fiscal (Mis)-Management May Impede Trade Reform: Lessons From an Intertemporal, Multi-Sector General Equilibrium Model for Turkey,"
7459, University of Minnesota, Economic Development Center.
- Xinshen DIAO & Terry L. ROE & A. Erinç YELDAN, 1999. "How Fiscal Mismanagement May Impede Trade Reform: Lessons From An Intertemporal, Multi-Sector General Equilibrium Model For Turkey," The Developing Economies, Institute of Developing Economies, vol. 37(1), pages 59-88, 03.
- Kraus, Alan & Litzenberger, Robert H, 1973. "A State-Preference Model of Optimal Financial Leverage," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 28(4), pages 911-22, September.
- Brad M. Barber & Yi-Tsung Lee & Yu-Jane Liu & Terrance Odean, 2007. "Is the Aggregate Investor Reluctant to Realise Losses? Evidence from Taiwan," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 13(3), pages 423-447.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicolás S., 1945-, 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Working papers 1523-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Rajan, Raghuram G & Zingales, Luigi, 1995.
" What Do We Know about Capital Structure? Some Evidence from International Data,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 50(5), pages 1421-60, December.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, 1994. "What Do We Know About Capital Structure? Some Evidence from International Data," NBER Working Papers 4875, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Berger, Allen N. & Bonaccorsi di Patti, Emilia, 2006.
"Capital structure and firm performance: A new approach to testing agency theory and an application to the banking industry,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 1065-1102, April.
- Allen N. Berger & Emilia Bonaccorsi di Patti, 2002. "Capital structure and firm performance: a new approach to testing agency theory and an application to the banking industry," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2002-54, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Titman, Sheridan & Wessels, Roberto, 1988. " The Determinants of Capital Structure Choice," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(1), pages 1-19, March.
- Huang, Guihai & Song, Frank M., 2006. "The determinants of capital structure: Evidence from China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 14-36.
- de Jong, Abe & Kabir, Rezaul & Nguyen, Thuy Thu, 2008.
"Capital structure around the world: The roles of firm- and country-specific determinants,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1954-1969, September.
- de Jong, A. & Kabir, R. & Nguyen, T.T., 2007. "Capital Structure around the World: The Roles of Firm- and Country-Specific Determinants," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2007-058-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Reeb, David M. & Mansi, Sattar A. & Allee, John M., 2001. "Firm Internationalization and the Cost of Debt Financing: Evidence from Non-Provisional Publicly Traded Debt," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 36(03), pages 395-414, September.
- Wu, Chen-Hui & Wu, Chin-Shun & Liu, Victor W., 2009. "The conservatism bias in an emerging stock market: Evidence from Taiwan," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 494-505, September.
- DeAngelo, Harry & Masulis, Ronald W., 1980. "Optimal capital structure under corporate and personal taxation," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 3-29, March.
- Schmukler, Sergio L. & Vesperoni, Esteban, 2006. "Financial globalization and debt maturity in emerging economies," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 183-207, February.
- Carol Alexander & Anca Dimitriu, 2005. "Indexing, cointegration and equity market regimes," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(3), pages 213-231.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Maksimovic, Vojislav, 1999. "Institutions, financial markets, and firm debt maturity," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(3), pages 295-336, December.
- Bauguess, Scott W. & Moeller, Sara B. & Schlingemann, Frederik P. & Zutter, Chad J., 2009. "Ownership structure and target returns," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 48-65, February.
- McKenzie, Michael, 2002. "The Economics of Exchange Rate Volatility Asymmetry," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(3), pages 247-60, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:jbemgt:v:13:y:2011:i:1:p:53-70. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.