Money Demand and Seasonal Cointegration
This paper employs a seasonal error correction modes (SECM) to examine the Stability of Taiwan' narrow and broad money demand functions. With the exception of the short term interest rate, these two monetary aggregates and their determinants are found to have strong seasonal unit roots at various frequencies. The demand functions for both narrow and broad money are cointegrated with real GNP and export at the annual frequency, whereas the demand for broad money is cointegrated with real GNP at the biannual frequency. Furthermore, both money aggregates are cointegrated with real GNP, exports and he interest rate at the zero frequency. A SECM is then constructed for the respective narrow and broad money demand Functions, of which the latter is found to be stable. [C30, C32, E41]
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 13 (1999)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RIEJ20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RIEJ20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Engle, R. F. & Granger, C. W. J. & Hylleberg, S. & Lee, H. S., 1993. "The Japanese consumption function," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 55(1-2), pages 275-298.
- Gonzalo, Jesus, 1994. "Five alternative methods of estimating long-run equilibrium relationships," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1-2), pages 203-233.
- Jarque, Carlos M. & Bera, Anil K., 1980. "Efficient tests for normality, homoscedasticity and serial independence of regression residuals," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 255-259.
- Ghysels, E. & Lee, H.S. & Siklos, P.L., 1992.
"On the (MIS)Specification of Seasonality and Its Consequences : An Empirical Investigation with U.S. Data,"
92008, Wilfrid Laurier University, Department of Economics.
- Ghysels, E. & Lee, H.S. & Siklos, P.L., 1992. "On the (Mis)Specification of Seasonality and Its Consequences: an Empirical Investigation with U.S. Data," Cahiers de recherche 9237, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Ghysels, E. & Lee, H.S. & Siklos, P.L., 1992. "On the (Mis)Specification of Seasonality and Its Consequences: An Empirical Investigation With U.S. Data," Cahiers de recherche 9237, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Lee, Hahn S. & Siklos, Pierre L., 1995. "A note on the critical values for the maximum likelihood (seasonal) cointegration tests," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 137-145, August.
- Lee, Hahn Shik & Siklos, Pierre L., 1991.
"Unit roots and seasonal unit roots in macroeconomic time series : Canadian evidence,"
Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 273-277, March.
- Lee, H.S. & Siklos, P.L., 1991. "Unit Roots and Seasonal Unit Roots in Macroeconomic Time Series: Canadian Evidence," Working Papers 91143, Wilfrid Laurier University, Department of Economics.
- Johansen, Soren, 1992. "Cointegration in partial systems and the efficiency of single-equation analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 389-402, June.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- McNown, Robert & Wallace, Myles S., 1992. "Cointegration tests of a long-run relation between money demand and the effective exchange rate," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 107-114, February.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:intecj:v:13:y:1999:i:3:p:97-123. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.