Seasonal Co-integration An Extension of the Johansen and Schaumburg Approach with an Exclusion Test
In this paper, the Johansen and Schaumburg method for seasonal cointegration has been tried to be applied for testing an a priori hypothesized cointegrating money demand variable space. We aim to provide a comprehensive discussion of the significance of the variables in the long-run context as stationary relationships for both zero and bi-annual frequencies. For this purpose, several restrictions have been used to impose for identification purposes of the relevant vectors. We also touch upon the possibility that most time series data have been subject to the stochastic seasonality as opposed to the general acceptance in empirical papers. Our results employing data from the Turkish economy show that it is not possible to estimate only a single theory-accepted money demand relationship in the long-run variable space for both zero and bi-annual frequences, but we are able to identify different vectors somewhat consistent with theoretical arguments for the annual frequency.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kunst, Robert M, 1993. "Seasonal Cointegration, Common Seasonals, and Forecasting Seasonal Series," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 18(4), pages 761-76.
- Franses, Philip Hans & Kunst, Robert M., 1995.
"On the role of seasonal intercepts in seasonal cointegration,"
15, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Franses, Philip Hans & Kunst, Robert M, 1999. " On the Role of Seasonal Intercepts in Seasonal Cointegration," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(3), pages 409-33, August.
- Franses, Ph.H.B.F. & Kunst, R.M., 1998. "On the role of seasonal intercepts in seasonal cointegration," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 9820, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Cubadda, Gianluca & Omtzigt, Pieter, 2005.
"Small-sample improvements in the statistical analysis of seasonally cointegrated systems,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 333-348, April.
- Cubadda, Gianluca & Omtzigt, Pieter, 2003. "Small Sample Improvements in the Statistical Analysis of Seasonally Cointegrated Systems," Economics & Statistics Discussion Papers esdp03012, University of Molise, Dept. EGSeI.
- Gianluca Cubadda, 2000.
"Complex Reduced Rank Models for Seasonally Cointegrated Time Series,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
0092, Econometric Society.
- Cubadda, Gianluca, 2001. " Complex Reduced Rank Models for Seasonally Cointegrated Time Series," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 63(4), pages 497-511, September.
- Jeffrey A. Miron, 1996.
"The Economics of Seasonal Cycles,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 0262133237, June.
- Ermini, Luigi & Chang, Dongkoo, 1996. "Testing the joint hypothesis of rationality and neutrality under seasonal cointegration: The case of Korea," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 363-386, October.
- Engle, R. F. & Granger, C. W. J. & Hylleberg, S. & Lee, H. S., 1993. "The Japanese consumption function," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 55(1-2), pages 275-298.
- Löf, Mårten & Lyhagen, Johan, 1999.
"Forecasting performance of seasonal cointegration models,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
336, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Lof, Marten & Lyhagen, Johan, 2002. "Forecasting performance of seasonal cointegration models," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 31-44.
- Alberto Giovannini & Bart Turtelboom, 1992. "Currency Substitution," NBER Working Papers 4232, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Irfan Civcir, 2003. "Money demand, financial liberalization and currency substitution in Turkey," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 30(5), pages 514-534, October.
- Gokhan Yilmaz, 2005. "Financial Dollarization, (De)Dollarization and The Turkish Experience," Working Papers 2005/6, Turkish Economic Association.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:voj:journl:v:56:y:2009:i:1:p:39-53. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ivana Horvat)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Ivana Horvat to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.