Asymmetric Fluctuations and the Third Moments in the Real Business Cycle Theory
This paper examines the third moments in actual and simulated business cycles. The main goal is to answer the question whether a business cycle model can generate the asymmetry observed in the quarterly post war data. The results indicate that for third moments, the RBC model does not fit the data as well as it does for second moments. It is also shown that transitory shock can be better than persistent shock in matching the third moment, which implies an implication for modeling strategy of real business cycles theory. [E32]
Volume (Year): 12 (1998)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RIEJ20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RIEJ20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Neftci, Salih N, 1984. "Are Economic Time Series Asymmetric over the Business Cycle?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 92(2), pages 307-28, April.
- Brock, William A. & Sayers, Chera L., 1988. "Is the business cycle characterized by deterministic chaos?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 71-90, July.
- Mark Dynarski & Steven M. Sheffrin, 1987. "Consumption and Unemployment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 102(2), pages 411-428.
- Dynarski, Mark & Sheffrin, Steven, 1986. "Asymmetric fluctuations in consumption," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 117-120.
- J. Bradford De Long & Lawrence H. Summers, 1984. "Are Business Cycles Symmetric?," NBER Working Papers 1444, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- King, Robert G. & Plosser, Charles I. & Rebelo, Sergio T., 1988. "Production, growth and business cycles : I. The basic neoclassical model," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2-3), pages 195-232.
- Mendoza, Enrique G, 1991. "Real Business Cycles in a Small Open Economy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(4), pages 797-818, September.
- McQueen, Grant & Thorley, Steven, 1993. "Asymmetric business cycle turning points," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 341-362, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:intecj:v:12:y:1998:i:2:p:35-53. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.