The Short-and Long-Run Relationships Between the Exchange Rate of the Dollar and Producer Prices in the U.S
This paper investigates empirically the relationship between exchange rates and producer prices in the U.S. using a multivariate dynamic framework. Cointegration tests reveal that is a stable long-run relationship between prices, exchange rates and other factors according to which depreciations lead to higher prices. However, the estimated effect is not consistent with the pure form of the purchasing power parity hypothesis. It is also found that in the short run, the rate of price inflation. Finally, there appears to be bi-directional causality between producer prices and exchange rates. [E31, F31, F41[
Volume (Year): 11 (1997)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RIEJ20 |
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RIEJ20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- McKinnon, Ronald I, 1982. "Currency Substitution and Instability in the World Dollar Standard," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(3), pages 320-33, June.
- Clements, Michael P. & Mizon, Grayham E., 1991. "Empirical analysis of macroeconomic time series : VAR and structural models," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 887-917, May.
- McNown, Robert & Wallace, Myles S., 1992. "Cointegration tests of a long-run relation between money demand and the effective exchange rate," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 107-114, February.
- Dickey, David A & Pantula, Sastry G, 2002. "Determining the Order of Differencing in Autoregressive Processes," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 18-24, January.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Miller, Stephen M, 1991. "Monetary Dynamics: An Application of Cointegration and Error-Correction Modeling," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 23(2), pages 139-54, May.
- Stock, James H & Watson, Mark W, 1988. "Variable Trends in Economic Time Series," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 2(3), pages 147-74, Summer.
- Koch, Paul D. & Rosenweig, Jeffrey A. & Whitt, Joseph Jr, 1988. "The dynamic relationship between the dollar and US prices: An intensive empirical investigation," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 181-204, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:intecj:v:11:y:1997:i:2:p:59-71. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.