The Impact of Related Variety on Regional Employment Growth in Finland 1993--2006: High-Tech versus Medium/Low-Tech
This paper investigates the impact of related variety on regional employment growth in Finland between 1993 and 2006 by means of a dynamic panel regression model. We find that related variety in general has no impact on growth. Instead, after separating related variety among low-and-medium-tech sectors from related variety among high-tech sectors, we find that only the latter affects regional growth. Hence, we find evidence that the effect of related variety on regional employment growth is conditioned by the technological intensity of the local sectors involved.
Volume (Year): 19 (2012)
Issue (Month): 6 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CIAI20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CIAI20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Uwe Cantner & Matthias Bürger, 2010.
"The Regional Dimension of Sectoral Innovativeness An Empirical Investigation of Two Specialised Supplier and Two Science-Based Industries,"
Jena Economic Research Papers
2010-032, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena.
- Matthias Buerger & Uwe Cantner, 2011. "The regional dimension of sectoral innovativeness: An empirical investigation of two specialized suppliers and two science‐based industries," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 90(2), pages 373-393, 06.
- Piergiuseppe Morone, 2006.
"The two faces of knowledge diffusion: the Chilean case,"
Journal of International Development,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(1), pages 29-50.
- Piergiuseppe Morone, 2002. "The Two Faces of Knowledge Diffusion: the Chilean Case," Labor and Demography 0211002, EconWPA.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995.
"Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models,"
104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, . "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," IFS Working Papers W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Francesco Quatraro, 2010.
"Knowledge Coherence, Variety and economic Growth: Manufacturing Evidence from Italian Regions,"
- Quatraro, Francesco, 2010. "Knowledge coherence, variety and economic growth: Manufacturing evidence from Italian regions," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(10), pages 1289-1302, December.
- John M. Quigley, 1998. "Urban Diversity and Economic Growth," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(2), pages 127-138, Spring.
- R. Paci & S. Usai, 1997.
"Technological enclaves and industrial districts. An analysis of the regional distributions of innovative activity in Europe,"
Working Paper CRENoS
199708, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Raffaele Paci & Stefano Usai, 2000. "Technological Enclaves and Industrial Districts: An Analysis of the Regional Distribution of Innovative Activity in Europe," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(2), pages 97-114.
- Raffaele Paci & Stefano Usai, 1998. "Technological enclaves and industrial districts: An analysis of the regional distribution of innovative activity in Europe," ERSA conference papers ersa98p461, European Regional Science Association.
- Ron Boschma & Simona Iammarino, 2009. "Related Variety, Trade Linkages, and Regional Growth in Italy," Economic Geography, Clark University, vol. 85(3), pages 289-311, 07.
- Ron Boschma & Asier Minondo & Mikel Navarro, 2012.
"Related variety and regional growth in Spain,"
Papers in Regional Science,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 91(2), pages 241-256, 06.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:indinn:v:19:y:2012:i:6:p:459-476. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.