Kaldor and Robinson on money and growth
Post-Keynesian theory was developed as an alternative to mainstream neoclassical economics. However, post-Keynesians have not succeeded in getting their message through, partly because of the difficult and controversial economic issues upon which they embarked, partly because they emphasized, both in their monetary and growth analysis, theories that do not radically depart from the mainstream of economics. This paper therefore argues that post-Keynesian economics got off on the wrong foot. Rather than having emphasized the works of Minsky and (the early) Kaldor in money, post-Keynesians should have considered the contributions of Robinson and Kahn. Also, rather than having emphasized the work of Robinson and Harrod on growth, they ought to have given greater emphasis to Kaldor's demand-oriented growth theory. Hence, as a simplification, post-Keynesians should have considered Robinson on money, not Kaldor; and Kaldor on growth, not Robinson.
Volume (Year): 8 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/REJH20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/REJH20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Serrano, Franklin, 1995. "Long Period Effective Demand and the Sraffian Supermultiplier," Contributions to Political Economy, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(0), pages 67-90.
- Hewitson, Gillian, 1995. " Post-Keynesian Monetary Theory: Some Issues," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 285-310.
- Anthony Philip Thirlwall, 1979.
"The Balance of Payments Constraint as an Explanation of International Growth Rate Differences,"
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review,
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 32(128), pages 45-53.
- Anthony P. Thirlwall, 2011. "The Balance of Payments Constraint as an Explanation of International Growth Rate Differences," PSL Quarterly Review, Economia civile, vol. 64(259), pages 429-438.
- Anthony Philip Thirlwall, 1979. "The Balance of Payments Constraint as an Explanation of International Growth Rate Differences," BNL Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 32(128), pages 45-53.
- Cottrell, Allin F, 1988. "The Endogeneity of Money: Reply," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 35(3), pages 295-97, August.
- Basil J. Moore, 1991. "Money Supply Endogeneity: "Reserve Price Setting" or "Reserve Quantity Setting"?," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 13(3), pages 404-413, April.
- Eichner, Alfred S., 1982. "La théorie post-keynésienne et la recherche empirique," L'Actualité Economique, Société Canadienne de Science Economique, vol. 58(1), pages 223-247, janvier-j.
- Kaldor, Nicholas, 1970. "The Case for Regional Policies," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 17(3), pages 337-48, November.
- Dosi, Giovanni, 1988. "Sources, Procedures, and Microeconomic Effects of Innovation," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 26(3), pages 1120-71, September.
- Pivetti, Massimo, 1992. "Military Spending as a Burden on Growth: An 'Underconsumptionist' Critique," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 16(4), pages 373-84, December.
- Targetti, Ferdinando, 1992. "Nicholas Kaldor: The Economics and Politics of Capitalism as a Dynamic System," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198283485, March.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521368155 is not listed on IDEAS
- Dardi, Marco, 1994. "Kahn's Theory of Liquidity Preference and Monetary Policy," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 18(1), pages 91-106, February.
- Howes, Candace, 1995. "Long Term Economic Strategy and Employment Growth in the U.S.: An Analysis of Clinton's Economic Policies," Contributions to Political Economy, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(0), pages 1-31.
- Dixon, R & Thirlwall, A P, 1975. "A Model of Regional Growth-Rate Differences on Kaldorian Lines," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 27(2), pages 201-14, July.
- Hamouda, Omar F & Harcourt, G C, 1988. "Post Keynesianism: From Criticism to Coherence?," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(1), pages 1-33, January.
- Palumbo, Antonella, 1996. "Notes on Investment, Saving and Growth," Contributions to Political Economy, Oxford University Press, vol. 15(0), pages 105-15.
- Dutt, Amitava Krishna, 1984. "Stagnation, Income Distribution and Monopoly Power," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 8(1), pages 25-40, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:eujhet:v:8:y:2001:i:1:p:75-103. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.