Cooperation versus competition in product innovation
This paper analyzes the optimal antitrust policy in the context of a patent race. In a simplified model, we identify the conditions under which allowing cooperation yields greater welfare than imposing competition. In view of our results, we discuss, critically, the current European policy towards R&D cooperation.
Volume (Year): 14 (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/GEIN20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/GEIN20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeffrey I. Bernstein & M. Ishaq Nadiri, 1988.
"Interindustry R&D Spillovers, Rates Of Return, and Production In High-Tech Industries,"
NBER Working Papers
2554, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernstein, Jeffrey I & Nadiri, M Ishaq, 1988. "Interindustry R&D Spillovers, Rates of Return, and Production in High-Tech Industries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(2), pages 429-34, May.
- Jeffrey Bernstein & Ishaq Nadiri, 1988. "Interindustry R&D Spillovers, Rates of Return, and Production in High-Tech Industries," Carleton Industrial Organization Research Unit (CIORU) 88-01, Carleton University, Department of Economics.
- Fujita, Masahisa & Thisse, Jacques-François, 2002.
"Does Geographical Agglomeration Foster Economic Growth? And Who Gains and Looses From It?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3135, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Masahisa Fujita & Jacques-François Thisse, 2003. "Does Geographical Agglomeration Foster Economic Growth? And Who Gains and Loses from It?," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 54(2), pages 121-145.
- Timothy F. Bresnahan & Shane Greenstein, 1997.
"Technological Competition and the Structure of the Computer Industry,"
97028, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F & Greenstein, Shane, 1999. "Technological Competition and the Structure of the Computer Industry," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(1), pages 1-40, March.
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:93:y:1979:i:3:p:395-410 is not listed on IDEAS
- N. Gregory Mankiw & Michael D. Whinston, 1986. "Free Entry and Social Inefficiency," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 17(1), pages 48-58, Spring.
- Glenn C. Loury, 1976.
"Market Structure and Innovation,"
256, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Tether, Bruce S., 2002. "Who co-operates for innovation, and why: An empirical analysis," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 947-967, August.
- Battaggion, Maria R & Garella, Paolo G, 2001. "Joint Venture for a New Product and Antitrust Exemptions," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(3), pages 247-62, September.
- Bernstein, Jeffrey I, 1989. "The Structure of Canadian Inter-industry R&D Spillovers, and the Rates of Return to R&D," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(3), pages 315-28, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:ecinnt:v:14:y:2005:i:4:p:305-318. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.